Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are planning our first camping trip with dd (20 months)... Any suggestions/tips/stories to share?

I'm a little nervous about it but all in all I think she will have a blast!

TIA!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Yaaaaaay! We're going camping this weekend, too!
More than likely, your little one is going to have the very best time of everyone.... she has no worries!
Here is another thread you may want to read through, it's several pages long but there's some really good stuff in there!
I can't think of too many suggestions, I would just make sure you have lots of extra sets of clothes, snacks, insect repellant.
With some planning, camping w/ little ones is so much fun! Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
85 Posts
We are going on a family camping trip end of June and I am really looking forward to it -- our daughter will get to spend time with three of her cousins. They are a good bit older, but are all really good with her (they are 8,6 and 4; she is 16mo). Also interested in any tips anyone might have!

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
We just got back from a trip with 22 month old dd. It wqas our second trip of the summer. She had a blast and it was much easier than I thought it would be. The only tip I will suggest is do ot go crazy packing a bunch of toys. She ignored everything except the bubbles and just played with the many interesting things found in and around our campsite.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I've taken Julian camping every summer of his life.
The first time was when he was 6 mos. old, and I hauled cloth diapers in and out of a 3 day camping trip. It was planned to be a week, but it rained all three days, and our tent and sleeping bags were soaked, along with all our clothes, so we decided to call it quits.
Last summer, I took him to one of those camping places where you can park your car at the campsite, no hiking, etc. It was really easy and I think ideal for someone with a baby in diapers, as we had the car right there to keep the bag o' wet dipes in. My friends brought their two german shepherds and we all slept in one of those huge tents- 4 grownups, a toddler, and two dogs. It was a blast.
We're planning a camping trip for this summer, and Julian is 2.5, and out of diapers so I think hiking is back in the picture, plus he can roast his own (vegan) marshmallows and stuff because he's a real kid now.
No real tips here, I think camping is easier than every other day because the kid is so entertained! Of course, have food and water aplenty, but besides that, enjoy yourself!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
"I'd really like to see camping families as a tribe. Would you? Does anyone know an effective way to request these things from MDC?"

I think you can just go to FYT and post a new thread (unless theyve changed the rules??)

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
We just got back from our first camping trip with our dd, 27 mos. We used to go backpacking before dd so having to pack a bunch of stuff, like tent, etc, is kind of new for us. It was fun except it rained. Dd only played with her stuffed animals before sleep and her crayons. Otherwise, we explored a lot. However, she found the other campers very scary and insisted on being with me at all times. And, she had major trouble getting to sleep. Both nights, she sang songs and talked silly voices for us for 90 minutes before falling asleep.

I would love to see a camping forum. Somebody go suggest one!

All right, nobody did that so I did. Awaiting approval for it to show up in questions and suggestions. I suggested a forum for animals and outdoor adventures, since there is neither. Would include pets, outdoor animals, camping, and sports.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Dd loves to go camping. We went last weekend & she keeps saying she wants to go "again!" Anyway, the potty tip is good. Also, it's nice to have lots of towels/wipes etc. Seems like I'm always looking for something to wipe her down with :LOL We don't really bring any toys for her, except maybe a bucket, shovel, maybe a ball and water floaties if they'll be swimming. She loved riding in the canoe this year, which was nice because she was pretty scared last year. We got her a little tiny paddle of her own (too cute) and she sat in the middle, sticking her paddle in & out of the water. The best part is that she gets to see ducks, loons, birds, bugs, etc. It rained all weekend, but we had fun anyway. I agree, too, that car camping is most convenient with the little ones. Enjoy!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Okay gang -

Another mama put in a request for an "animal and outdoor adventure" tribe in the questions and suggestions area. I suspect that the powers that be at MDC would take it more seriously if everyone interested in seeing this become a reality pops onto that thread and makes a comment of support.

Sooo.....if yer interested, get on over there and give a
to the idea.

Thanks!
Kristen

·
Registered
432 Posts
we took ds camping for 3 nights- a walk-in- not too far site- when he was 5 months old. we handwashed dipes...about a month later i started EC, so now we don't have to deal with dipes. other than him having to wear slightly damp diapers the last day, the trip was great. it was funny packing sooo much more stuff than we're use to taking.

my dad wants us all to go backpacking with 15mth old ds. anyone have experience with this? is it stupid? how far in should we go? it would be slightly rolling ozarky mountains in arkansas (most people wouldn't call them mountains
)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.