Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i was just wondering my son will be one pretty soon. he never was able to latch on really good so i gave up trying. but now i have the urge to try to put him on the breast. i tried like two weeks ago and he bit me,my mom says its because he is used the bottle nipple. So my question is has anybody tried breastfeeding again after so long or is it a lost cause. Oh i pump my milk and feed it in a bottle i'm just so sick of pumping. I just figured let me ask to see if it has been done.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My adopted son started breastfeeding at 23 months. It was really easy to get him to nurse, but it took a long time to get the latch just right so that it didn't irritate me to death. He watched his sister nurse and wanted to do it too. I think having your child watch other kids breastfeed would be the easiest way to get them interested.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I think it *can* be done... but I don't think it will be successful in all cases.

I relactated with my daughter who had medical problems preventing her from latching on last 5.5 months. At 11.5 months she was more developed so I tried ot get her to nurse. she was SO angered by it. several weeks later I stopped trying b/c it upset her so bad. we had a rythym and routine of bottle feeding and she didn't remember the nursing as anything but painful for her so she didn't want any part in it.

however, I think for some people and kids it would work.

it depends on a lot of things - the temperment of the child and mother. the milk available. if they has sensory or developmental issues preventing a good latch etc...

but the only way to find out is to try!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Do you know why he wasn't able to latch at the beginning? I would think if he had a physical problem (I'm thinking tongue-tie or something like that) that was never corrected, then he'd most likely still have the same latch problems now.

Have you tried with a nipple shield? That might feel more like a bottle for him. You might try starting with that and then gradually transition to the naked nipple.

Good luck!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for posting this question! I was getting ready to make a simliar post.
Here's the quick version of my story
). My DD is 14 months now. She had bad jaundice at birth then pretty bad reflux issues for the first several months, later diagnosed as milk-soy protein intolerant. I was never able to get her to latch on. I saw a local LC, then my midwife, then a LLL leader. They all tried, but b/c of her reflux it was so hard to feed her with a bottle let alone my breast.
Anyway, I SOoooo badly wanted to be able to nurse my child. I pumped as long as I was still getting some milk. Gradually it got down to not much. I took domperidone and that helped. But, here's where I'm at now. I can still get some tiny bits of milk (not enough to pump and save though). But I know unless I can get her to latch on I'm never going to be able to build up my supply.
Here's the good news. She has been showing some interest in my breasts the last couple of weeks. She kind of like plays with them
) and this weekend I expressed some milk and she drink it, but not like latched on, just leaned forward and drank it if that makes sense. So, I think there is hope. I just don't know what to do next.
I didn't know if this would be weird or not...But, I have thought that I wish I knew someone I could ask who would let me nurse their child because I really do believe if she saw another LO nursing on me she would do it too! Unfortunately, I don't personally know any mommas who are nursing their children
( so I'm not sure what to do. I thought about attending a LLL meeting that I could find, but I was a little shy to do so since I'm not actually "nursing" my LO and I wasn't sure if they actually nursed their LO's at the meeting so my LO could watch.
My post might not be a lot of help, but I just thought I'd share that I do think there is hope. Maybe just exposing your breasts to let LO "play" with them, bathe/shower together, lots of skin-to-skin when possible, and like the PP's, try to be around other nursing LO's. It's great you've been able to pump for so long and keep up your supply! You're a great momma! I completely understand the urge to nurse. After 14 months I still have that urge. I know I'm doing the best with my DD that I can, but I would love nothing more than to be able to nurse her and have that bond with her.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just want to say thanks you guys for your advice. I was not able to put him on the breast since my last post. I had surgery in my belly button for a hernia. But I feel alot better now. And I'm going to give it a shot. You guys gave me a boost of confidence and I'm going to try. Im so sick of pumping and my husband is getting sick of it too because we has to always wait on me to pump before we can go anywhere. Even sex, he wants to have sex and i have to pump first if not my milk will start coming out and I don't have that much milk to waste. Now his getting to the point where he ask when am i going to stop pumping then he says well if you were breastfeeding it would be different. That really hurts my feelings and it makes me sad because i wish i was able to breastfeed him since the very beginning. he was never tonge tie there was no medical condition for him not to be able to breastfeed he just had a shallow latch and we were never able to fix it. The pain was to much for me so i gave up. I'll post back later to let you guys know how things are working out. thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.