Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 14 month old b/g twins. The last 5 months my ds has had bouts of crying whenever my dd cries or yells (even happy yells). Even when he is around my 2 yr old niece if she laughs loud, he cries. I can't bathe my twins together because my dd is so excited so she yells and laughs and he freaks out. And it is a hysterical cry. He is tough when it comes to physical pain (he'll bang his head against the wall or fall down and not make a peep). But he freaks around noises (mainly other kids but sometimes if my husband laughs loud). Could his hearing be oversensitive and actually hurt his ears when he hears these sounds or is he just sensitive and the noises just scare him? Loud bangs, train whistles, trucks honking don't bother him, just human noises. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Odd. When I saw your post title, I was thinking about the fact that all adults have some degree of hearing loss, and children have much more sensitive hearing than we do. But if other loud noises don't bother him it's not that.<br><br>
Maybe it's the exact pitch of the noise? Also, I've known children who just can't handle other noisy people... (I've got one in my daycare class right now) When he's older, you can teach him ways to cope if it's still a problem.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
It's possible but the only occurances I've heard of where young children being extremely hyper sensitive to sound was connected to a type of autism, but it wasn't limited to human sounds, as it is in your case. I'm certainly not trying to scare you or say your child is autistic, but there's a difference between having more sensitive hearing and being overly sensitive to sound. (One might be more physical and indicates his hearing is above average. The other -- what you're describing -- sounds like it's more of an emotional reaction.)<br><br>
If your child is reacting to someone that's loud, then he might just be sensitive. If he were having the same reaction to non-human sounds, then I'd talk to the ped just to be safe, if I were you. Since his responses seem specific to human noises, I'd venture a guess that he's just a sensitive little person, since human sounds are equated with emotion, whereas trains and things like that are not.<br><br>
Does that make sense? If you're worried, talk to your ped. Otherwise, I'd try to keep him reassured and accept that he may simply be more sensitive to the sounds others make.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts