Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on antibiotics for mastitis which was about a week ago. Today for some reason DD has had a crappy latch on that same breast all day. Now that breast is sore again. I cant be having a "relapse" of the mastitis since I am still on antibiotics. Can my whole breast feel sore from a bad latch? I mean, I take her off and get her on properly, but it still makes my nipple sore.<br>
Its kind of that bruised, plugged duct sort of feeling. But I dont feel any lumpiness.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I think it's possible that you might have a relapse. Your baby is just around 3 months right? If she is starting to teethe, she could be latching on weird.<br><br>
Does heat help at all? Another thing that happened to me was my breasts were so sore with my 3rd baby and I was sure I had thrush, but it turned out that underlying muscle pain (from carrying around the stupid car seat) was the cause. I stopped doing that and just left the car seat in the car and carried the baby in my sling, plus heat and Advil and I felt much better.<br><br>
Thrush is a possiblity though because you were on antibiotics. You might want to research that a bit, but it seems to me that if it were thrush (internal, in the milk ducts) it would probably feel like that on both sides, not just the one.<br><br>
Jeanne

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I would second the idea to look into it being thrush. We had it twice, and the second time I only really felt it on one side. It was the same kind of feeling, though, sharp pain near the nipple, but bruised and sore inside the breast.<br><br>
If you're not already, taking probiotics is something you can do to combat yeast while you're still on the antibiotics. Should be available in the vitamin aisle at the supermarket or drugstore (maybe under the name acidophilus).

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I feel fine today and her latch is better. Who knows. Although I do have some deep beast pain - like a shooting pain. I have had that since the beginning though. Its intermittent, only once in a while and not during nursing. I dunno.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts