Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kids are now 10, 8 and 6 years old. I did my research on vaccines years ago. I'm about to do more now because there are a few issues I wonder about--not new ones to anyone here, I'm sure!<br><br>
Is it true that I can request a blood test to check titers to see if my children have gained immunity to diseases such as measles, mumps, rubella, smallpox? I think I remember this from long ago.... Please excuse me if my medical terminology is not accurate. What do I ask for? Do I have to request (and pay for) separate tests for each disease? How expensive is this?<br><br>
Anyway, I want to look into two diseases particularly--you can probably guess--mumps and rubella. I already noticed in some archieved threads that the mumps-sterility issue may not be as big a concern as I imagined. And isn't rubella the disease that is dangerous for pregnant women, and therefore you want your daughters (and sons, I guess, as they may marry) to have immunity to? If it is not rubella, then perhaps someone can correct me.<br><br>
Looking forward to replies and I appreciate your time and attention!<br><br>
Thanks,<br><br>
Leah in Texas<br><br>
P.S. Reading these threads has brought back the memory of those early days: reading, worrying, wondering and being amazed at what I was learning, and then changing my perspective--paradigm shift is what they call it today (or called it yesterday--I'm not very current!).

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
Mumps sterility is not an issue unless a boy is at least 12 yrs. old when he get the disease and usually it only affects one of the testis thereby not making him sterile.<br><br>
And Rubella immunity via vaccine lasts only about 10 yrs. thereby making a girl more susceptibe during child bearing years. But the pregnant female must come in contact with the rubella disease in the first three months of her pregnancy. And then get the rubella herself.<br><br>
Often we do have antibodies in our blood without actually having had the disease. It's call subclinical exposure.<br><br>
The blood titer antibodies are not really reliable.<br><br>
I would absoluely not worry about either one. Nor would I get them tested. Stick around, other people will come and give you more information.<br><br>
By the way, Rubella is not an issue in boys.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I think she means if the guy got rubella & exposed his pregnant wife kind of thing-<br><br>
Insurance probably will not cover the blood testing -call a lab nearby or ask the Drs office.<br><br>
They routinely check titers for pregnant women.

·
Registered
14,488 Posts

Jazmommie said:
I think she means if the guy got rubella & exposed his pregnant wife kind of thing-<br><br>
QUOTE]<br><br><b>You got that right!</b> IT WOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM FOR AN INFANT IF HIS FATHER HAD NO IMMUNITY TO RUBELLA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I will stick around to see what others say. I find it interesting that the titers are not very reliable.<br><br>
I did mean that if a man got it and gave it to a pregnant wife, but I know my post wasn't clear.<br><br>
Thanks again,<br><br>
Leah in Texas

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I do plan to ask about it at the kids' next check-up. And yes, I meant if the man gave it to his pregnant wife...but it wasn't clear, was it?<br><br>
Leah in Texas

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
Yes, I understood what you meant. It was clear. But it is not an issue. Boys do not have to have immunity.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh course, I see what you mean. If the mom has immunity, it doesn't matter about the man. Silly me!<br><br>
Leah in Texas

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
i had ALL of my MMR boosters and have zero immunity to it<br>
ZERO<br>
i found out when i was preg....and the encouraged me to get another booster before i got preg again<br><br>
my sister had the same situation of ZERO immunity after her vaxes<br><br>
i also had/have severe juv. arthritis from my MMR vax<br><br>
i am not gettin a booster and i am not vaxing my dd<br><br>
good luck!<br>
s

1 - 9 of 9 Posts