Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a midwife guess a baby's size just by feeling the belly ?

With any degree of accuracy I mean !

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Mine were right on - said he was about at 7.5 months and said he was about 9 a week before I had him -- 8lbs 14 oz at birth

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Mine were right on too. One guessed 'almost 8 pounds' She was born that day weighing 7 pounds 10 oz. Next midwife said "between 8 and 8 1/2" shr was born that evening at 8 pounds 4 oz.

Mt dr. was actually right too (had first at a hospital with family dr) He said "I would guess 8 pounds" She was born 3 days later at 8 pounds 3 oz.

Better odds than an ultra sound machine, lol

·
Registered
314 Posts
well hopefully my new midwife will be better then my first. although she was proved wrong by me alone, all her other guesses were close or right on. she guessed my first at 7 1/2- 8lbs, he was 9lbs 2 oz. my second my dr said that i'd be lucky if she was 7 1/2 lbs (guessed by an awful dr i hated) she was born at 9lbs 1 oz. My next dr said the baby would be over 10lbs and i needed to be induced... well she was born 9lbs 1 oz. i will be seeing a new midwife this time around and i will just expect another 9lbs baby.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Pretty accurate. I was able to gauge how big my last two were in comparrison to my first one. First was 8 lb 15 oz, second I knew felt a lot bigger. He was 9 lb 14 oz. Third felt much smaller. She was only 7 lb 4 oz. Midwife estimated almost 7 lbs ....2 weeks before her birth.

You could really tell by my belly too. I'm only 4'11 and 105 lbs when not pg.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I meant to ask them today what thier guess was, but it totally didn't even occur to me while I was at my appointment ! D'oh !

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
With my first, my mw said he wouldn't be bigger than 6 pounds...he was 5-11 full term. We have a different mw this pregnancy, so we'll see how accurate she is later on.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Some midwives are very skilled at palpation and estimating fetal size. Some are not.
I know that i read about about a study they did...and ut was something like they had skilled midwives use palpation to estimate size, mothers use their intuition/guess , and doctors use ultrasound....
The midwives won hands down, followed by the mothers and last...yep, you guessed it....*smile*

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
i think that some midwives are very accurate-- we recently had a similar discussion on a midwifery list but to tell you the truth there are studies that show moms can be accurate if not the most accurate in predicting size...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yes to what mwherbs said.
I'm just going over this for class tomorrow! A midwife's handbook says that "clinicians estimates and maternal guesses are equal to ultrasound in accuracy" in respect to fetal size.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
so I just have to comment on inaccuracy though- with my first, before the use of routine ultrasounds, my doc said the day before my daughter was born- that she was 5 lbs and that I would be maybe a month before I had her- she was 10lbs 5 oz - and like I said born the next day-- boy was he wrong and in a time period when docs were supposedly relying on their "hand skills" more.
and you know what I did not guess weight but I thought she was big, because I was as big around as a tape measure and I was not a heavy person at that time- I can only guess that he thought I was a heavy person all the time or something.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.