Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So our ds, who is 13 mo. old, and ec'd from about 1 mo, is having something of a potty pause. he had a cold, and then some intense teething, and he is learning to walk. (whew! I know all of that is a lot of work for him, and contributes to potty resistance. The thing is, he is also having very restless, interrupted sleep at night. Congestion from his cold, and teething pain, seem to have cleared up, but he wants to nurse for hours on end at night. I am starting to think, as he is dry anyway most nights, that he is holding it in, and uncomfortable because of it. He is very resistant to pottying before bed, and absolutely rages if we offer pottying during the night.<br><br>
Some background info: I am home with him all day, and nurse a lot still. I am also about 4 mos preg with dc2, and getting so tired! I still seem to have plenty of milk, but it's like it doesn't satisfy him at night. We co-sleep, and he eats a lot of food during the day. Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
sounds very much like a growth spurt to me.<br><br>
mine opposed potty at night too. she was only dry all night about 1/3 of the time though - other nights she wet and we changed a coupel of times through the night.<br><br>
the potty pause seems to me right on schedule and probably not related to the marathon nursing. in my experience these growth spurt-related nursing activity would go on for anywhere from 4-10 days before settling back to normal (which for us was and is still 1-3 nursings / night not counting nursing to sleep and nursing to wake). i think we had dramatic ones right around 14 months and again at 21 or 22. after that i didnt notice them as much though i know there were a few more.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought a growth spurt about a month ago, when he was also eating absolutely ravenously-- the night waking has been pretty consistent and extreme for at least a month-- does a growth spurt last that long?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
My dd actually does that. She will wake up want to nurse because she has to pee but not want to get on the potty. So she will keep waking up and pushing herself off the potty. And then, only happened a few times pee while I am nursing her. Slightly frustrating. BUT if we can put her on the potty and nurse her before she really wakes up, which means putting her on as soon as she fusses then she will usually go for us. In fact, most of the time during a potty strike for her it was easier for her to go while asleep. So like I would nurse her to sleep at night or for a nap and then put her on th potty. It is tough. I wish you luck and if nothing else, this too shall pass...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts