Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been perusing PubMed, reading some of the medical literature about rupture risks and I came across an article (2005 I think, I need to get a linky to it) that raised some questions for me.

I'd like to try and help get my cervix ripened by trying various methods so that I can VBAC close to my due date. My doula/midwife and others, as well as people here, have suggested sex with semen and some other methods (I can't remember the herbal oily pill that was recommended) that get prostaglandins close to the cervix to help it ripen.

The article (oh! here is the link!) states that there is a higher risk of rupture when prostaglandins are administered as an aid to ripen the cervix because biochemical changes occur that may affect the scar, causing it to open.

So this may be way far off base, but what about these "natural" methods of using prostaglandins? I'm sure the "dose" is nothing compared to what people receive in the hospital, but still. If we apply these natural prostaglandins very frequently (if you know what I mean :LOL) could that not result in a similar problem?

What do you ladies think of this?

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
I have heard arguments on both sides. I think there are just too many variables to make a judgment on anyone else's situation.
For me, given that I was already in labor sort of, it just wasn't going anywhere, and given that all the signs were in place telling us my body was ready, and given that my labor stalled out with DD1, I opted for using some of the natural induction methods (actually used a few in combination) to move things along. I knew they came with risks, which is why I didn't use anything of the sort until *after* I'd been having irregular contractions (some of them very strong) for over 24 hours. Nursing DD1 the night before DD2 was born was the first time nipple stimulation made any difference, but it petered back out in the wee hours. The next day, we dtd with borage oil as lubricant and I took half the recommended dose of homeopathic blue and black cohoshes. A little bit later, it seemed to be working without any warning bells going off in my head, so I took another half-dose of the cohoshes. Baby was born just a few hours later. Since I wasn't really dilating or anything (I requested my midwife check), we all figured it would be at least the next morning before she was born! Might not have really made much difference, but I believe it really sped things along, and for me, safely.

·
Registered
26 Posts
the prostaglandin E2 used in cervadil and the prostaglandin in cytotec (main culprit for uterine rupture) is a completely different type than that release in your own body (by cervical irritation or intestinal distress, i.e. diarrhea) and that released by a male in semen. think about how harsh these synthetic versions can be in comparison with what your body naturally produces and is used to. different modifiers, dosages and receptors, etc...

also if seminal prostagladins were a risk factor for u.r. then previous c/sec's would not be allowed err...relations while pregnant, instead it is considered healthy and encouraged.

--milquetoast

·
Registered
686 Posts
i also did every natural induction method (sex, walking, EPO, RRL tea, pineapple, licorice/fennel, eggplant, spicy food, prunes, nipple stimulation, etc, etc.) I did go into labor on my own, labored for 50 hours, and then ended up with another c/s.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
At a conference I attended, one of the speakers said that it is estimated that the amount of prostaglandins in one ejaculate is probably about 1/10 of a single dose of Cytotec (25 ucg dose.) However, he did point out that it is difficult to quantify this, and that researchers had so far not found a way to apply a similar natural dose as Cytotec to compare effectiveness (said with a straight face, but meant to be tongue in cheek.) He was talking about labor inductions methods at the time, and classified sex in the the "not harmful, possibly helpful" category.

I don't have a reference for that 1/10th thing, though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts