Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 6 years mine finally bit the dust and as a single mama its on the list of top 3 baby items I NEED (Mei Tai, PIS & Baby Monitor). It lets me take my shower without worrying the baby is screaming her head off (6 yr old won't tell me she's crying) and taking her in the bathroom is not feasible. (she just cries the whole time) I picked up a $20 Fisher Price Lights and Sound one yesterday at k-mart and its terrible so its going back today.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use the Fisher Price Aquarium one. It plays music and has a fish light show on the ceiling. My nine week daughter loves watching the fishes floating round and round.

·
Registered
965 Posts
The only one I've ever used is Fisher Price.
It has lights and it has sounds.
It has 2 receivers and can change between 10 channels.

HOwever, we certainly didn't get it for 20 bucks. I think we spent more like 45.

Is this the same one you have? Why don't you like it?

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I have the same one you just got and paid like 28 for it at BRU.....its one of the only ones I dont have issues with. What dont you like about it?

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got this one http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...entPage=family

If I turn it up past 1 (goes to 5) it has a loud white noise sound and I have to take it clear to the living room to get it to stop squealing which defeats its purpose since it wont work in the bathroom (to close to the base). The sounds are also muffled and hard to distinguish a happy noise from an unhappy noise and I couldn't understand anything my 6 yr old was saying in the room. My last monitor was crystal clear and I could hear the baby breathing with it 3 ft away

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
THIS ONE is Great--it's won several consumer's best awards, and we own two of them. We've had three other monitors, and in the end they all malfunctioned in one way or another. The one we liked (The first years one) was so great after 4 years that I went on ebay and bought another one. Crystal clear sound, long range, rechargeable batteries or plug-in, and very tough/long lasting.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
We have a First Years and a Sony. The First Years is utter crap compared to the Sony in terms of how far the signal carries and interference.

Definitely go with the Sony if you can afford it. It's WONDERFUL. (The First Years one works -- but not anything close to as well as the Sony.)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I second the Sony. It has 27 channels and costs about $50. There is zero noise and zero interference (unless your cell phone rings). We have two, one for each child, and they don't even interfere with each other.

·
Registered
188 Posts
We absolutely LOVE our Sony (it says BabyCall rechargeable) and I feel it was well worth the money we spent to replace the cheap one we got through our baby registry at BRU.

That being said, if you want to go all out
splurge on a video monitor. I am borrowing one now from a friend (to keep an eye on my almost 5-mo-old who likes to roll over and over and over...) and it's great. It's green and white and says Summer Infant on the front. Really neat to see my daughter snoozing and make sure that her older brother is not bugging her.

HTH

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
i have a First Years moniter and it is total and utter c-r-a-p, ihave no advice on good moniters just wanted you to avoid a waste of $

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DandeCobb View Post
i have a First Years moniter and it is total and utter c-r-a-p, ihave no advice on good moniters just wanted you to avoid a waste of $
The one that just died after 6 yrs was a first years so I think its a ymmv thing

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
I have this one and have been pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
It's true, the current First Years ones are pretty bad.
We've tried the ones they're selling now in the stores and they're horrible. If you check out the link I posted above (an ebay listing), though, their old model is fantastic-- as good as any of the pricey ones we've tried, and we've tried several.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2eatamango View Post
We absolutely LOVE our Sony (it says BabyCall rechargeable) and I feel it was well worth the money we spent to replace the cheap one we got through our baby registry at BRU.

splurge on a video monitor. I am borrowing one now from a friend (to keep an eye on my almost 5-mo-old who likes to roll over and over and over...) and it's great. It's green and white and says Summer Infant on the front. Really neat to see my daughter snoozing and make sure that her older brother is not bugging her.

HTH
yep! love the sony. no static and very sensitive. have lived in several houses since i bought it and no static. i would feel comfy leaving a sleeping baby on my bed w/ it. hated our first one..i think it was the lights and sounds one. also those video ones look cool!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2eatamango View Post

HTH
I completely forgot to mention the rechargable feature. There are no batteries (or I guess they're built in, LOL) so when you plug it in it automatically recharges. You will save the extra $$$ you spent on it on batteries.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts