Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
OKC this time of year is cold; climate generally dry. As far as political climate...pretty conservative. You might have better luck with general "crunchiness" if you go south to Norman (home of Oklahoma University, the Sooners). Not sure how far that is, but it's not a long drive.

Sorry I don't have more specific information. Most of what I know I gleaned earliler this year while researching several cities where we thought DH might be transferred.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Flat. That is pretty much that I can say about OKC... ROFL...

There is a really kewl art festival and the Myriad Gardens are really awesome, Farmers markets, and Flea markets...

Also.. 66 miles SE of OKc there is a small town called Seminole, and The Jasmine Moran Children's Museum is there. The CM has been used as a model for other city's CM because of how kewl it is.. Our family has a membership to it, and for 6 people and unlimited visits for a year it was $50.00...
:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
If you are looking for crunchie mamas groups, edmond and norman are far more suitable. There are Akins groceries on the north side of the city and The Health Food Center on the south side. There are a lot of farmers markets, but this time of year most are puny IMO. LOTS of coops most I know of are to the north more toward guthrie.

Plenty of kids stuff if you're willing to drive a bit, once you've exhausted the city stuff. Lots of kid oriented plays in the city, at civic center or colleges. History museum in norman, pp mentioned moran. medieval fair in norman in april, art festival downtown in march or april I can't remember right now, well art festivals every few months some where around the city. minor league Baseball and hockey, NBA basketball...

Old saying - If you don't like the weather in oklahoma, wait five minutes. For the most part hot summers, cold winters, bad ice in january the last 5 years or so. mild falls and springs. tornados in the spring and sometimes other times of the year (don't move to moore
) Most don't hit the city, they do gravitate toward moore and el reno.

political - conservative christian.... lets put it this way we were the state with the least % of votes for obama
what does that tell you?

If you are antivax - good luck finding a dr, Mercy has some that will tolerate, but the only true anti-vax dr left town a year ago.

If I think of anything else I will add it

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Well, two days ago I was wearing shorts. So the weather is always crazy. You never know how it's going to be.

We have a peditrician up in Edmond that is cool with me not vaxing.

Ummm....politics? It's conservative around here.

The state is pushing breastfeeding. There's a lot of bf'ing commercials telling moms to bf anywhere and anytime.

There are pretty good midwives at OU hospital, just past downtown, by the state capitol building.

ummmm.....lots of gardeners around here so lots of farmer's markets. Lots of health food stores.

Can't think of anything else!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.