Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is wrong with HFCS? (Mods, if I posted this in the wrong forum, please let me know. I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in Health and Healing.)
First of all, is this High Fructose Corn Syrup? I was reading a thread in News and Current Events about how terrible HFCS was; from the context, I inferred that that was what HFCS was.
Yesterday, after drinking a bottle of iced tea from a gas station, I decided to read the ingredients label and sure enough, it had High Fructose Corn Syrup in it. Is HFCS different from regular Corn Syrup?
I always thought sucrose, regular white sugar, was worse for you than fructose. So wouldn't replacing sugar with HFCS be *better* for you?

Is HFCS new? If memory serves me, it seems to have become more and more common lately.
Well, I have other questions, but don't want to overwhelm you.
Thank you for reading this, and for educating me.
I really want to know more about this.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose, emphasis mine:

"Fructose is often recommended for, and consumed by, people with diabetes mellitus or hypoglycemia, because it has a very low Glycemic Index (GI 23) relative to cane sugar (sucrose). However, this benefit is tempered by concern that fructose may have an adverse effect on plasma lipid and uric acid levels, and the resulting higher blood levels of fructose can be damaging to proteins (see below). The low GI is due to the unique and lengthy metabolic pathway of fructose, which involves phosphorylation and a multi-step enzymatic process in the liver."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.