Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm giving my baby her first finger foods when she wakes up (carrots) and I'm kind of nervous. I'm cutting them up really small and cooking them well, but I'm still worried that she might choke. Is it still possible to choke on small pieces of food?

· Registered
1,528 Posts
instead of cutting them up real small... I always cut DS's food too big. Then he can pick it up, bite off only what he can handle, and the pieces are too big to choke on, but give him something to chew.

· Registered
1,326 Posts
It took me a while to get over the choking fear. I used to cut up her food so small she could barely pick it up! do what feels comfortable to you until you get used to it.

· Registered
1,911 Posts
A baby (or an adult, for that matter) can gag on anything - but the PP is right, give larger pieces and let baby regulate how big of bites she gnaws. Gagging isn't uncommon and don't let it stop you from continuing to experiment... it's a learning reflex and we do it all of our lives!

· Registered
1,002 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Don't super tiny pieces increase the chance that the gag reflex *won't* activate when it should and make aspiration more likely?

yup. big pieces are better from what i've read

DD will be getting some sweet potato and carrots first and we'll be cutting them quite large--like the size of our fingers. it should be much easier for the baby to hold on to that way too.

· Banned
1,092 Posts
The point with FINGER food is that it has to be possible for the baby to pick it up and hold on to it by themselves. Most babies grab with their whole hand, and hold food clutched hard in their hand. Which means that anything smaller than the hand gets stuck in it - frustrating!!! And also, anything to mushy soft gets squashed! Think avocado and banana. At the beginning it is easier for them if it is bit firmer (but still soft), and long enough to have a "handle".

Yup, be careful about too small things and soft things on spoons in the early days. The gag reflex works much better if the baby gets to put something bigger in themselves and process it in their mouths!

For what it is worth, I am still worried about choking after nearly 4 months. I was terrified at the beginning and would only let DD eat when DH was around! Make sure you know how to deal with a choking baby, as babies can choke on anything. My LC/Well Baby-nurse told me babies are more likely to choke on liquids than anything else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.