Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with downs syndrome breatfeed?

My cousin took that test(not sure what it's called, I didn't have it done) and it came back positive for DS. I know that it's not a definite positive because some of those tests can be wrong but she turned down the amnio. She said it wouldn't matter anyway because she will still keep the baby.

I've heard that DS babies don't really like to be held, but that is all I know about it.

She doesn't have a computer to research it and I figured the fastest way to get an answer would be from here.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
I think sometimes they can and sometimes they can't. I know someone who has a son with downs and she was unable to nurse him. She didn't know he had it until after he was born. She said he latched a few times, but his muscle tone just wasn't enough to keep going. She is someone who would have if she could- she works with IBCLCs all day long. She ended up pumping and bottle feeding instead.

I think there is a great variety of ability of babies born with DS.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes, babies with Down Syndrome can be breastfeed. It is not as easy as with a baby without Down Syndrome. They have a tongue reflex that makes breastfeeding more difficult.

You can contact your local LLL Leader for a brochure called Breastfeeding a Baby with Down Syndrome. If you do not have a LLL group in your area, you can visit their website http://www.lalecheleague.org/Web_sto...d=6662867_2464 and order one for $2.50

Rebecca

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shelbean91
I think sometimes they can and sometimes they can't. I know someone who has a son with downs and she was unable to nurse him. She didn't know he had it until after he was born. She said he latched a few times, but his muscle tone just wasn't enough to keep going. She is someone who would have if she could- she works with IBCLCs all day long. She ended up pumping and bottle feeding instead.

I think there is a great variety of ability of babies born with DS.
OT - I think I know the mama you refer to - sweet, sweet mama.

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
If you're talking about the triple screen blood test, let her know that that test has a huge, huge, huge, huge, huge, huge, huge, huge false positive rate.

The likelihood is that her baby is fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.