Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me out here, Mamas . . . pediatricians around here don't believe that anything nutritive affects ANYTHING else in the body, except for weight gain, which is the one thing I don't care about!

My ds (2.75) has struggled with chronic constipation his entire life. As a tiny baby, it was probably due to my oversupply issues. Then as an older baby, due to food allergies. By the age of 1 yr, we had eliminated all allergens from his and my diet, but he has continued to have dry, hard stools which often cause difficulty in passing. With natural remedies and a strict diet, we've kept him regular, but the stools have remained firm -- and I think a little firmer than would be considered normal.

Two weeks ago a new ped. recommended a multi-vitamin for chapped lips which would not heal. I was inclined to go along with this since I know that my milk dried up when I hit my second trimester. We started him on the Animal Parade vits mainly bc they were lowest in iron (2mg a day).

His chapped lips cleared up *instantly* with the vit, so we continued, but ever since, he has had *horrible* smelling gas, followed by horrible smelling poops which are complete mush -- they are not liquid, but it's the closest he's EVER come to diarrhea.

Think it's the vitamins? Could it be the iron? I know iron can be constipating -- any chance it can have the opposite effect?

Or could it be bc my colostrum is coming in?

There have been no changes to his diet. He has had a cold, but it is long gone and the yucky poops remain. (And yes, he already takes a probiotic every day -- no changes there.)

Thoughts on this oh-so-fascinating subject?!?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yeah, good point. I had checked this because we used to just give him Vit C to keep his stools soft, but there's less in the multi than there was in the Hyland's C tablets we were giving him. I'm wondering if something else in the multi could make the C more absorbable?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CK'sMama, That's my best guess, too. I was so excited to find them bc they don't have any of the things I KNOW he's allergic to (wheat, dairy, corn, all nuts, banana, strawberries, mustard!), but something's not quite right. So we stopped them today and will see what happens. It's a shame, bc clearly his skin was needing something that he wasn't getting from his diet and the multi helped a lot. Nothing's ever easy!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the thought. But they have corn syrup in them, and he's allergic to corn. Believe me, this is no easy task . . . if it doesn't have corn syrup, then it's strawberry-flavored. If it's not strawberry, then it has 18 mg of iron. I've read every label of every children's multi in 3 health food stores, and the Animal Parade was the *only* one with no known allergens. So we'll go without for a while and then try one a week, etc.

Of course I'm open to more vit suggestions if people have them!

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts