Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure whether to post this here or in the general BF forum.
My mom BF all of my siblings to some extent, between 1957 and 1962. It wasn't a decision she thought much about, and she doesn't have a whole lot to say about her decision now. I do know that with her first, the ped was supportive--told her to continue to BF until my sister could drink from a cup. Anyway, this is background information to explain that, while my mom was dedicated to BF, she wasn't committed to working through problems, mostly because I'm sure she didn't have much knowledgeable support at the time. I know my brother was switched to formula when my mom developed mastitis.

What I'm really wondering about is her experience with me. I was BF for about two weeks. That's when my mom's mother died, after a long bout with Parkinson's and bad osteoporosis; her death wasn't exactly expected, but it wasn't out of the blue, either. At this point, my mom says her milk dried up, which she attributes to grief. Does this really happen? Is it common? I would imagine that if she had had a good LC, she could have continued to BF me. It's not an issue for me--I've never had any of the health problems common from FF. I'm really just curious--did my mom lose her milk (or experience an extreme drop in supply) because of grief, or was there more likely something else going on that she didn't know about?

Thanks,
Susan

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Have you ever experienced severe grief, yourself?

When my ex-h walked out on us (no warning), I couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, couldn't stop crying for weeks. I was only of average weight to begin with, and lost 17 lbs. in six weeks from stress and my inability to swallow more than a couple of mouthfuls of food a day.

I'm sure grief could dry up milk.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2tadpoles View Post
Have you ever experienced severe grief, yourself?

Yes, I have. And I know that, when grieving, one often doesn't eat, which can affect supply. However, my mom was eating fine; I should have asked "Is it common for grief to directly affect milk supply?" And it's not that I don't believe her; it's just not something I've heard of before. I'm curious how common it is.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Yes, I believe that severe stress can affect milk supply

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
From Kellymom:

Quote:
Possible causes of slow let-down

It's quite normal for a mother to have a harder time letting down when pumping than when nursing. The milk may be there, but you may have a hard time letting down and "releasing" the milk. Some mothers also have a let-down which is not functioning properly when baby is nursing.

Many things can be the cause of a slow or inhibited let-down: anxiety, pain, embarrassment, stress, cold, excessive caffeine use, smoking, use of alcohol, or the use of some medications. Mothers who have had breast surgery may have nerve damage that can interfere with let-down. In extreme situations of stress or crisis, the release of extra adrenaline in the mother's system (the "fight or flight" response) can reduce or block the hormones which affect let-down.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/letdown.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts