Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help getting focused. I posted this in another section of MDC a while ago but no one responded. Here's another try:

I'm trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. I still have a few years before I'll be ready to go back to work full time, but I want start finding my Ideal Job now so I can head in the right direction.

Here's my background: I received an MS degree in zoology in 1994 where I studied the behavioral ecology and life history of animals. Since then, my jobs have been working as a veterinary assistant, teaching children in a nature center, and staying home with my own children, ages 5 and 2. I just became a LLL Leader.

As a parent I am very enthusiastic about breastfeeding, natural childbirth and attachment parenting. Now I am wondering if I can turn these passions into a paying career?

Most of my favorite breastfeeding experts write from an anthropological point of view (Katherine Dettwyler, Meredith Small). They write about how biology and culture interact to shape the way humans birth and parent children, and how various parenting styles affect the health of children and mothers.

I'm most interested in studying or relating to populations rather than individuals. That is, rather than becoming a lactation consultant or pediatrician or doula and helping one person at a time, I would like to study or reach larger groups of people.

Writing? Teaching? Could I help conduct an existing research program? Could I help fill those gaps about the benefits of BFing beyond 1 or 2 years? Could I be a liason between anthropologists and pediatricians? Is there a public health position where I could promote breastfeeding, attachment parenting, natural childbirth and the like?

I think I need to do some informational interviews, but I hardly know where to start. I need to know what kinds of jobs are out there. Any ideas?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.