Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Im about six weeks along and was planning on developing some photos here soon.  Just had a thought that the chemicals are probably toxic, even though I am not making real contact with them.  Maybe using gloves is enough? Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this? Thanks! </p>

·
Registered
615 Posts
<p>No proof here, but I would guess that it's pretty toxic and personally wouldn't want to do it. I know that a lot of photographers used to (or maybe still do) go blind in their old age (urban legend? truth?) because of the chemicals. I would especially want to avoid in the first trimester, but I avoided every possible chemical unless I couldn't help it. I didn't even colour my hair or paint my nails my whole PG.</p>

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
<p>i had a friend who was a photo assistant and some days he would come home from spending hours in the darkroom so so loopy it was like he had been drugged. </p>
<p>i always just dropped my film off at the lab and got proof sheets. there's really no benefit to doing your own film. the lab can push or pull to whatever you'd want.</p>
<p>as for prints....could you find a darkroom to use that has one of the machines instead of the trays? </p>

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<p>Thanks for all the advice mamas! I think I'll just get the pictures printed at the lab that I want, instead of going into the darkroom.  Makes sense to me! I would like to drymount the photos, but to me that doesn't seem too involve any chemicals, so should be ok? Thanks all! </p>

·
Registered
10,706 Posts
<p>Yea, if you have a good photo processing lab in your area you should be able to get a proof and maybe give a few instructions for how you want your prints.  Another idea would be to pay a college student.  I may not trust them with processing the film but maybe with the printing?  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I would think dry mounting would be fine.  </p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts