Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin who is "sleep training" her her 2.5 year old gets advice on CIO from a FB friend. I post in disagreement and the friend says to her, basically: Keep up the CIO, you have a smarter than the average baby!

So What's the logic there...if the child were of average intelligence she would be okay to go in and reassure her?

Smart kids must be manipulative by nature?

Only dumb kids really need their moms at night?

And if her 2 and half year old is THAT clever, if she is such a manipulative mastermind that she simply must be at it and is clearly just trying to, I don't know, take over the world one exhausted parent at a time
, why not, ohhh I don't know...TALK to her and find out what the trouble is. My ds was pretty capable of making simple requests and needs clear at that age, and I am pretty sure he's of average intelligence.

Garrrr!

I hope she listens to me and comes here for advice!

·
Registered
466 Posts
This is the very "logic" that a neurologist gave me....just before I walked out stunned. She declared my DS to be highly intelligent and therefore manipulative - what??? That was why I needed to get control of him now, according to this lovely professional, or he will be out of control as a teenager. There's a leap - if I don't do CIO now, I will have a teenage delinquent.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
But aren't tantrums all manipulative too?
: So you should let them scream so they don't manipulate you by throwing screaming fits?

Gosh these threads are making it hard to not use sarcasm. I gave in on the thread about the "sleep expert" but I'll be good here.

Errrrgh, want to be sarcastic about the mean people, want to be sarcastic about the mean people!!!!

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
It makes no sense... until you realize that quite a lot of people think of their kid as the 'enemy.'

I think the advice here is saying that you really have to dig in your heels if you have a smarter than average opponent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.