Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 11 month old has been waking 8+ times a night for 2 months and I am ready to completely go insane! Last night I had just had it so I refused to nurse her. I decided I would not nurse from 11 pm until 4 am. But when I tried just holding her and rocking her when she woke at 12 she freaked and wanted to nurse. So I put her back in her crib and left for a minute to get my bearings. When I came back in I told her to lay back down (she was standing up) and gently laid her back down. She laid there and I patted her back. Then I sat beside her and everytime she lifted her head I would say "lay back down" and if she didn't listen I would gently put her back down. It took TWO hours but she finally went to sleep on her own. When she woke at 4:15 (a 2 hour stretch of sleep, yay!) I nursed her as usually and she went back to sleep and then woke at 5:45 and nursed and then up at 7:00 am for the day. Do you think I've totally confused her now lettting her nurse at 4 but not earlier? Would it be possible to partially nightwean, say between 11 and 4 to start (eventually I'd like to move it further like say 10-5) or will that just send mixed messages? Will she eventually get the message that she can't nurse between 11 and 4 and start sleeping? I know if I try and do this (if you even think it could work) I will be getting LESS sleep for awhile because I have to sit beside her bed for hours to get her to go to sleep by herself. At least this is a gentle way and not CIO. I just sat there and laid my head against the bars. Yawn! So what do you think?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I think partial nightweaning is fine, but I would only do the time in one direction. i.e. figure out what your last nursing time of the night is, and stick with that, don't move it earlier, like from 11 to 10. Then gradually move back the first nursing of the morning exactly like you are talking about doing.

Also, explain to your babe what you are doing! You have an older child, so you know they understand a lot more than they can give back to you! Reassure her that you love her, etc., but mommy needs more sleep, and she can nurse in a few hours, or whatever. When you get the first nursing time into daylight hours you can explain that nursing is allowed when it's light outside, or something else more tangible than a time on the clock.

Good luck and keep us updated!

ETA: Read Dr. Jay Gordon on this, lots of good ideas.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.