Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I have recently met a new dr that is working with the midwife that I want to deliver my baby and who delivered my last baby vbac. I did not get a good feeling about this new dr. I do not want her to deliver this baby.  Told her what I was looking for with labor and delivery and what I don't want and I don't think she was really into what I was saying, maybe I'm wrong but that's the impression I got.  She also brought up c/s 3 times and the fact that she does tubal ligations, and asked if I was getting an epidural, I'm only 28 weeks, I have no idea if I will get one this time or not,  so to me it's like she is already planning my c/s.  I do not feel that she is vbac friendly, even tho she says she is all for vaginal birth, it really doesn't seem that way. So, there is a chance that she could be the one on-call when I'm in labor, I don't want to leave the midwife that I usually see, but I know that staying with her I could end up with this dr if she happens to be the one on-call that day.  Do I have any options for avoiding this dr? Can I refuse her and tell hospital that I want someone else?</p>

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
<p>In theory you can always fire someone when you are in labor and ask for someone else, although who knows what the next person might be like.   Talk to your midwife about this scenario and what you could do.  If she gives the impression there is no choice then you might have to look to hire another practice.  Although, this scenario can be found in many or most hospital practices so I dont know if you will find a better option unless you chose homebirth. </p>

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>I wish I could get a homebirth, if I could get it covered by insurance I think that is what I would be doing.  At first my husband was totally against it, but I've brought it up a few times and also mentioned that my midwife does them, I don't know that she would do one for me since I'm a vbac, but he did really like her and trust her so I think that him knowing that she does them makes me think it's not as unsafe as he had thought before, he doesn't seem to be as against it as he was before, but I would only do it if it was covered by insurance.</p>

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
<p>call them, it may be covered because it is a federal plan...where r u located...ri or ma?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>do not mention homebirth or even what kind of midwife...just ask if they cover prenatal, birth and post partum care with an out of network midwife.  Write down exact time, date, name, words.</p>

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
<p>I think that is a good start, to give you an idea.  Billing takes a while so you can submit a test bill for the interview with a midwife (at least I can with my billing company) to see if it works but it could take 6-8 weeks before you know FOR SURE.  So, if you are serious in considering homebirth you would need to decide not based necessarily on reimbursement.  I know that is probably not the answer you want to hear but we never know until after we get paid if the company is going to come through or not, and many times that is after the birth.  Health care reimbursement is terrible in this country!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Just so you know, I have been reimbursed for my services by BCBS RI.  And in MA where BCBS does not cover, if the plan is based outside of MA they can actually chose to use the rules of the state the plan is based in too and get reimbursement.  But each policy is written differently for each organization so while  some PPO's may pay out of network midwives, others may not.  Crazy.</p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts