Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought liquid stevia to use as a sweetner. How would I go about replacing sugar with stevia? How would I replace the volume of sugar or should I scrap my recipes and look online for stevia recipes?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaE
Here's a great conversion chart:

http://www.cookingwithstevia.com/ste...ion_chart.html

I'd be curious which recipes you end up liking the most with stevia. I've only used it once in a BBQ sauce and did not enjoy the aftertaste.
Not all stevia is created equal! Some has a really bitter aftertaste and some does not. It totally depends upon the brand/quality. The best stevia I've ever used is Body Ecology liquid stevia. Not much of an aftertaste at all!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by springmama
Not all stevia is created equal! Some has a really bitter aftertaste and some does not. It totally depends upon the brand/quality. The best stevia I've ever used is Body Ecology liquid stevia. Not much of an aftertaste at all!

\
nak - thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The stevia I bought is made by NuNaturals. I decided to start by using the stevia in our oatmeal to see if anyone would notice. YUK, it has a very bad aftertaste. Maybe it is the brand I tried or I used to much in my oatmeal because I really like my oatmeal sweet.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Is stevia safe? I bought some for my kids after reading that there was no indication at all that it was not good. After using it for a year I read something that said that it's been known to cause cancer!! I've asked a few professionals about it, the doctor had never heard of it and the nutritionist just told me that she didn't believe in using anything other than fruit juice if you HAD to sweeten things, but the only things she thought should be eaten were fruits, vegetables and meat. I've been so worried for the past few months that my kids are going to get cancer from it.

Anyone out there with more definate information on this?

Diana

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.