Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am tandem nursing my 2 youngest. Ds2 is 2 years 10 mos and ds3 is 10 mos (they are 6 days short of being exactly 2 years apart.) Lately I am just feeling completely burned out. I am TIRED of nursing all the time. ds3 is extremely high needs. If I am not sitting on the couch, he wants me to carry him. I can sit on the couch and he's happy playing around me or nursing. But if I sit down ds2 wants to nurse. He has been asking to nurse so much lately and it's driving me CRAZY! I'm getting icky feelings when I nurse him, it makes my skin crawl after about 10 seconds. He doesn't even try to latch right half the time anymore, which doesn't help. So all day I'm either sitting on the couch/computer chair nursing one of them or I'm lugging ds3 on one hip trying to get something done or wearing him in my mei tai getting something done at the expense of my back.

I just feel like I'm really really ready to wean ds2. But the more I tell him no, the more he wants to nurse. I thought I was committed to child led weaning, but I don't think I can handle it anymore! I think a major problem is that my fertility seems to be returning (why, God, why???) and I think that has a lot to do w/ the heebie jeebies I'm getting when ds2 nurses. I'm tired of 1 or both wanting to nurse every half hour, I'm tired of not being able to eat anything, and I'm just plain tired!!!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Have you tried things to increase your supply? That seems to be the problem for some women feeling like that. Increase your water, eat oatmeal and see if things improve.

good luck!

-Angela

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always had oversupply and I still seem to be making plenty. At least the baby still pukes everywhere if I let him nurse on both sides instead of just one. LOL! And I still hear ds2 gulping even if he nurses on the breast the baby just finished. I thought that might be it, too, at first, but it's not. Thanks, though!

·
Banned
7 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wendy1221
I am tandem nursing my 2 youngest. Ds2 is 2 years 10 mos and ds3 is 10 mos (they are 6 days short of being exactly 2 years apart.)
It's tough. Good for you!

Quote:

Lately I am just feeling completely burned out. I am TIRED of nursing all the time.
Understandable!

Quote:

ds3 is extremely high needs. If I am not sitting on the couch, he wants me to carry him. I can sit on the couch and he's happy playing around me or nursing. But if I sit down ds2 wants to nurse. He has been asking to nurse so much lately and it's driving me CRAZY!
You poor thing! I had one high needs baby too. While tandeming as well. Your two-year old is of an age where you can set some limits for him. He won't like it, but limits are better than weaning, and he is not an infant anymore. Most likely he just wants his fair share of you, and soothing that need and fear, can be a huge task, I know.

Quote:

He doesn't even try to latch right half the time anymore, which doesn't help.
Unacceptable. He is old enough to be made to understand that if he refuses to do it correctly, he cannot have any. He'll get it. You'll have a nervous breakdown during the learning curve, but he'll get it.

Quote:

So all day I'm either sitting on the couch/computer chair nursing one of them or I'm lugging ds3 on one hip trying to get something done or wearing him in my mei tai getting something done at the expense of my back.
Try another carrier if you can afford to. I use a moby wray and love it's versatility. Again as far as sitting and nursing, you can apply limits to your 2yr. old if necessary.

Quote:

I just feel like I'm really really ready to wean ds2. But the more I tell him no, the more he wants to nurse.
This is understandable for both of you. But it doesn't sound like he would wean easily anyway.

Quote:

I think a major problem is that my fertility seems to be returning (why, God, why???)
You need to embrace your moontime. Being fertile and cycling is beautiful. Do not hate it. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
766 Posts
hi wendy1221!
the mamas here taught me to chug the water when feeling touched out (even though i have a fountain of milk, too). i was so surprised how much it helped. crazy amounts.
i also like to play a little game i call, "let's imagine this is my three year old and still every two hour nursling's last time nursing ever! (yeah, right.)" sometimes it really helps. when that's not working i just wait for one of those magic moments, like two days ago when she gently slid her hand down my side and whispered, "you have a beautiful body, mama." then she slid her hand down her own tiny little torso and said, "i have a beautiful body, too." you are doing a great thing for your babies, and you are also allowed to be frustated.
and as for the diet stuff, i so know. i remember bursting into tears as i opened the fridge and found mold growing on some wheat, corn, gluten, dairy, egg, soy, chocolate-less morsel and collapsing into DH crying, "what is it even eating! these's no food there to eat! how can my not food go bad when there's no food in it?" it's so hard to be limited at the time in your life you are most hungry (and i only have one to nurse! you are amazing!). i run with it when i find a treat i can eat - one pound of mejool dates and i don't even look back. babara's puffins, the honey rice kind? bring a box, no two (ok, though, i do feel kinda guilty about those).
i hope a shift happens soon, and you feel better. my dd is definitely shifting now, it's amazing to watch when it (finally) happens.
much love,

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much, guys! You made me laugh, and that helps a lot! Jake, the 2yo, has cut back on nursing on his own. I finally figured out (duh!) that most of the time when he asks to nurse, it's because he's hungry or thirsty. I always ask him if he wants a drink or something to eat when he wants to nurse, but he usually says "No! I want na!" But if I get up off my butt and get him something anyway, he will usually eat and drink that instead of nursing! Yay!

And we got ds1 (7--he was just as allergic and high needs as ds3 is now, btw--ds2 was super laid back in comparison) talked into sleeping in his own room/bed b/c "now he has ds2 to snuggle!" It worked! THey're happy as clams in there sharing a bed and now dh and I only have the baby in our bed. I'm feeling much less touched out! Hooray! And I'll try to drink more water.

-'-,-{-`-{@ (how do you remember that to log in???
), I have a wrap, as well as 2 different slings and my mei tai. I haven't been able to figure out how to put him on hy back in it. I guess the same way that I put him on my front, lol. Maybe I'll try to figure that out and see if it's less hard on my back. My mei tai is more comfortable and easier on my back than anything else I have/ever had. I just have a bad back. Runs in my family.

·
Registered
161 Posts
So glad to hear things are looking up! I am also tandem nursing a todler (2yr9mo) and a babe (just turning one TODAY!), one thing I wanted to share - I have had a lot of success with DS when his latch hurts I explain to him that it hurts and please stop, open wide and try again. It always makes a HUGE difference. When I first heard about this I couldn't belive it would work but it does (at least for us) every single time! DS always flashes me a sweet, amused look when he stops too and then does a very exaggeratted wide open mouth before re-latching. No more teeth marks!

Take care,
Jennifer

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I just say LATCH! and he (usually) immediately lets go and opens his mouth really big adn waits for me to put my boob in. But I get so sick of it. I guess I feel like he's been doing this for almost 3 years, he should be able to do it w/out my correcting him all the friggin time! LOL

Then again, he didn't have his severe tongue-tie fixed until he was 8 weeks old, so his latch has never been too hot. I guess I'm just feeling irritated lately. We're going to visit MIL soon, so I'll be getting a break! Yay! I wished we lived closer (she's in Philly, we're in IN.) She is such a helop w/ the kids and truly loves doing things w/ them (and is totally an AP parent herself, so isn't on me about my parenting stuff.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts