Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little bit suspicious about my "nausea schedule". It seems to be the exact opposite of my work schedule. Usually at work I feel fine, and after work and on weekends, ugh! All weekend long last weekend, I just wanted to lay on the couch and watch tv. On Thursday, we took the day off work and went to Nashville, 3 hours away. While there, regardless of time of day, I didn't have any nausea. Was fine the whole time. We stayed at my husband's parent's house and drove straight to work in the morning coming in late. I actually ate breakfast that morning, and thats impressive to me even not pregnant! Is there a possibility that there's something in my home that's aggravating my morning sickness?

The apartment complex is pretty new (not even on maps!) and I think has had just one previous occupant in this unit. Its clean (as far as the eye can tell) and a well-kept place. We do have cats, but I've had cats all my life with no problems at all, and my in laws have a cat and I was fine the night I spent at their house (with a better-than-normal morning!) At work there is an air purifier. Those are the only note-worthy differences I can come up with! Could I be on to something or is it just coincidence? (I'm 11 weeks, btw)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Two thoughts:
1. Carpeting is a major culprit of indoor air pollution. If the carpeting is new, the outgassing is worse than if it were older. Since you mention that your apartment is new, that might be something to consider.
2. I find that when I have to be "on" I can summon the strength to get through the event - whether that's a meeting or work day. When I'm at home I, too, have slumps in energy. I think it's a mental thing...I can sit and do nothing so my brain tells my body that now is the time to be lazy.

I had awful morning sickness in my first trimester. The best remedy was to just keep something on my stomach at all times, eating every hour or two. But even that didn't always work. For a while, I thought that all I'd eat for my entire pregnancy was cereal because that's all I could handle. So I really feel for you. Hang in there

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
My morning sickness was worse, way worse, when I was at home. Don't ask me why! I have an older house that we have lived in for several years, no carpet or other suspicous new things. For me, I think it was a couple things. (1) I ate breakfast, showered, and got ready. That alone makes me feel better about facing the day.
(2) I sit at a desk with a bottle of water and snacks. I eat regularly and drink pleanty of water when I am at work. Not so at home with a crazy two year old and two even crazier dogs.
(3) I didn't tell anyone at work. I had to keep the game face on at work. At home I was free to be whiney and complainy (not that having m/s isn't real or worth whining about but at work, it wasn't a choice, KWIM?)

I don't know.... I didn't have terrible morning sickness, but I definitly felt worse on home days than on work days!

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm.. interesting, a couple other people have said that ms gets worse at home too :\ Well thats no fair! LOL. I guess telling my body that it could be sick at work (always love an excuse to go home and go back to bed) and feel better at home didn't work

I've been eating tons of those goldfish crackers! lol. There's usually a bag next to me at work. Water too.. and I noticed a direct correlation to what I eat for lunch/dinner and how I feel :\ Big greasy burger=bad, nice caesar salad and half a deli sandwich=good. Hoping the 2nd trimester brings me better things! Its RIGHT around the corner

Never considered that new carpet might be worse than old. (It probably has to be at least a year old though?) Is that something an air purifier could help with? Hmm on a side note, I wouldn't want to create a completely sterile 100% allergen free environment, you know? Lack of exposure to germs/dust isn't good for an immune system. Any opinions on air purifiers and making the air "too clean"? Thanks!!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I had chronic morning sickness, only only when I left work did it start tapering down, but then again I was working in a supermarket standing up all day for around 9 hours and saw food constantly, so I'd be exhausted and on top of that I'd see a certain sort of food or smell something that would set me off... So I'd say environment definatly has something to do with it, maybe it helps that when your at work your slightly more distracted than when your at home? Thinking about something other than feeling tired or sick....?

I had a lot of customers tell me that things would be better after 12 weeks (Unfortunatly I was about 24 weeks plus by then) I spent the most of my earlier pregnancy living off dry toast, frozen raspberries, water and tea. Nearly everyone I talked to about morning sickness said the second trimester was way better, being just round the corner for you it wont be long to go!!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I had horrible morning sickness from week 6-12. It was non-stop but I did notice it got worse when I was at home. I think it may have just been coincidence for the fact that some people are affected in the mornings and some at night, mine just happened to be worse in the evenings when I happened to be home. Also, certain things from home would trigger my nausea, like, the spice cabinet.... ugghhh!

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
I think for me, it's set off by the heat. It's also worse at home. Maybe because I'm more comfortable being sick at home?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Interesting! The same thing happened to me--weekends I would always be more sick than weekdays. My theory? It's a mind game. When I was home I had more time to think about how I was feeling and "let" myself be sick. That just my own little theory though!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I also noticed that I felt better at work and just outside the home, generally. I think it had to do with being distracted/preoccupied with other things while working, shopping, etc. It put me in a different head space. At home, there was plenty of time to dwell on how horrible I was feeling and just lie in bed watching movies. I'm not sure if this would've been different if I had little ones already to take care of and distract me at home.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heh heh, well, if it truly is a mental thing, I'm mentally telling myself that there really is like a magic button that gets pushed at the start of the 2nd trimester that makes all morning sickness magically cease
(this weekend! yay!) I mean if the timing and severity of morning sickness is mentally influenced..I gotta make that work in my favor!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I've found for me the morning sickness cure is to get a steady intake of protien throughout my day. Sugar levels spiking and dropping have coincided completely with my nausea. I also watch that I don't eat too many carbs without eating some protien to balance it out in my system. I take my prenatal vitamin at night which helps as well. I always eat some protien right before bed to last me through the night.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sophmama
I've found for me the morning sickness cure is to get a steady intake of protien throughout my day. Sugar levels spiking and dropping have coincided completely with my nausea. I also watch that I don't eat too many carbs without eating some protien to balance it out in my system. I take my prenatal vitamin at night which helps as well. I always eat some protien right before bed to last me through the night.
Hmm.. thats a thought. I've been trying to eat lots of fruits/veggies/salads since they're easy for my tummy and healthy
I think I'm smelling scrambled eggs for breakfast!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts