Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I express milk for my 7 month old on days when I work and usually have enough. Lately dh has been using every last drop and I am not sure what to do if he runs out. She has started solids and I know that she will eat some if she gets hungry. However, won't she need something to drink in addition to them? If dh is out of expressed bm, what should he offer her?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Rachel- If you think her total intake of breastmilk is enough in a 24 hour period then a small amount of water should be okay. Sage doesn't really like water too much so sometimes I will add an ounce of water to her expressed breastmilk. As long as you are sure she is drinking it all and the water isn't replacing needed ounces of breastmilk then it should be fine

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I read (I think in Dr. Sears' "Baby Book") that babies 6+ months can have up to 4 oz of water or diluted juice a day if they want it. My dd never took a bottle but started with an Avent sippy cup around 8 months. I usually give her a few ounces of water or diluted apple or pear juice each day. She doesn't always want it but sometimes she guzzles it down.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
our DD LOVES LOVES LOVES water. She'll drink it out of anything. She's still almost exclusively breastfed at 10 months but has started to swallow the odd mouthful here and there. I think we gave her water when she started grabbing at our cups. She was around 6-7 months and didn't eat ANY food at that point but would happily drink bits of water here and there.<br><br>
If she's eating in any quantity, I'd offer water if there's no more milk or with solid food. Since you're pumping it will be easy to ensure that she's getting enough breastmilk during the day.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
DD is still exclusively breastfed, but when the time comes that we introduce water to her, and probably not for quite a long time, what type of water should we be giving her? Obviously not tap, but should it be distilled or spring water? Is brita filtered water okay?

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I add a little spring water or purified water to ds's EBM to make it "stretch" longer- he gets upset if he finishes a bottle while I'm away and there's no more "milkies" He nurses voraciously when I'm with him and is 35 pounds so I know it isn't a problem.<br><br>
I've always been very picky about water so I buy reverse osmosis filtered or pure artesian spring water. Many water filters don't filter out all the chlorine or flouride- you have to look very closely- many of them say "filters chlorine taste" but not chlorine.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Thanks for the info LoveChild!

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Rachel, this is from the Super Baby Food book:<br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">When you introduce solid foods, begin giving your baby a little water after and between meals. It will help her kidneys dilute the more concentrated waste products of solid foods.<br><br>
The amount of water needed varies with the baby. You may start by giving your baby a tablespoon of water after his meal and before the rest of the breast or bottle feeding. Gradually increase the amount of water until he's drinking a maximum of 4-6 ounces of water per day. Maintain this maximum until your baby is about one year old, so as to insure that his milk intake is not being decreased by his drinking other liquids.<br><br>
Besides helping the kidneys, water is needed by your baby's body to replace that which is lost through the urine, feces, sweating, evaporation, and breathing (as can be seen in cold weather). This he gets from milk, water, juice, and food, which is part water. You must make sure your baby gets enough liquids to prevent dehydration, especially on hot days. Ask your pediatrician how much water your baby should drink.</td>
</tr></table></div>
She also says that the water you give to your "very young baby" must be boiled to kill all bacteria. But she doesn't define "very young", and just says to ask your pediatrician when it's no longer necessary to boil. I drink distilled water myself (since our well water gave her such bad gas), so I've just been giving her that. And even though she isn't really eating solids, she really loves water, so I trust her to know what her body needs, and just let her have it. I haven't measured, but I don't think she's drinking more than 4-6 ounces.<br><br>
HTH!

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
My kid drinks tap water. If we lived in a different area or had old pipes or something, I'd probably give him bottled water.<br><br>
Anyhow - no amount of water affected my ds' nursing, he loved to have a sippy with his solids. I was very draconian about juice until he was weaned, though. I feared it. Nowadays, he drinks water, Lactaid, and almond milk every day, and has juice occaisionally.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts