Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may need to be moved to dental, but I wanted to make sure the probiotic gurus saw it.
My 3-year old ds has bad breath! Some awful anaerobic bacteria has colonized his mouth, and his breath often smells like sewer gas.
I am sure he got this from me. Long story, but last year I had a tooth filled and I developed an infection originating at the filled tooth. (Unsterile dental instruments?) I managed to get it under control through flossing and rinsing with Peridex; however, it is still there (probably eating away my tooth). Now my son has it, but it is not as well controlled.
My dentist gave me tongue scrapers and Oxygen toothpaste. We've been using these for a week, but I can still smell the sulfur gas on my son's breath, even immediately after I brush his teeth. I am at a loss.
Could probiotics help to recolonize our oral flora and squeeze out the bad bugs? Goodpapa, have you come across any research that directly addresses this issue?

· Registered
747 Posts
....but I do know that cavities are due to a Streptococcus (I had the link before my computer crashed--I'm in the process of getting them back) bacterium which can be controlled with regular probiotic consumption.

It sounds like both you and your son need to be culturing and just for the record, get hydrogen peroxide and pour it over your toothbrush head before using it.

I also use it as a mouthwash to oxidixe out those little nasty buggers that hide in the nooks and crannies.

Good luck,

Ray

· Registered
4,302 Posts
Bad breath can also be a sign of digestive problems and the odour can come from the stomach and intestines themselves. Therefore, I would think that probiotics would be marvelous for bad breath! These 'bad breath' bacteria can colonize your throat as well, so that's why brushing alone might not be enough. A good throat/ mouth rinse might help.

Just as an 'aside' my kitty, Wingnutt, has HORRIFIC breath! He loves yogurt, and recently I have been indulging him more often than usual and....his breath is actually getting better! I dunno if I can thank the yogurt or not, but all I know is that the odour of that cat's breath could wilt flowers before and now it's back to just mildly gross

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll have to have a look at the book you mentioned, CK'smama.
BTW, I called my ds's dentist, and she suggested another possiblity: it could be anaerobic bacteria residing on the tonsils or adenoids. She didn't think it was a matter of poor oral hygiene since he had a good dental checkup only 6 weeks ago. Dunno, but I'm sure not bringing my ds to the pediatrician until flu season is over.
At any rate, I'm going to continue to encourage my ds to eat lots of yogurt and kefir.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi, got haliatosis since i can remember,
things that helped me
1-- main cause are probably tonsil stones only from my right tonsil, seems like even if i get rid of them with tea spoon or with water pick..salivas from that tonsil still smells.
2 -- flossing ..since i was kid i didnt floss until after my 20, only using tooth brush was not enough
3- zinc -- 1x 25 mg or 2x 25mg / day --- this helped cure my white tongue.
4 - tongue scraper
5 - and finaly my remedy from all this purgatory is probiotic bacteria called Streptococcus salivarius K12 -- i got 1 tablet 2x10⁹ CFU before sleep and NO morning breath anymore + no noticeable smell from tonsils + pink tongue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts