Mothering Forum banner

can probiotics make reflux worse?

4567 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  moonlight mom
Is there any reason why a probiotic would make dd's reflux worse? I started her on the hypoallergenic probiotic from kirkman labs yesterday due to ongoing problems with blood in the stool. I have been on an elimination diet for over a month and did not add any new foods yesterday. She had terrible reflux all night and all day today. The only thing I can think of that I did differently was add the probiotic. Do you think it is a coinicidence?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
hmmm... how much did you give? I would start off with a really, really small amount (like just a bit of powder on your fingertip.) It's possible that it's just causing a die-off reaction as her gut is repopulated, and that's causing some digestive upset.
That's the probiotic we use and for me, I have worse gut issues than DS, but for the first two weeks, a 1/2 pill gave ME diarrhea like nobody's business. I only give DS half a capsule. I would work your way up, probably just overloaded too quickly
Please delete my account and all data. My phones, emails, computers, forums, etc. have been professionally hacked by a domestic abuser. Thank you for your prompt attention to this serious matter.
I definitely get reflux when I re-start my probiotic too quickly after I've been off it for awhile. I second (or third or whatever it is) the theory of die-off.
Please delete my account and all data. My phones, emails, computers, forums, etc. have been professionally hacked by a domestic abuser. Thank you for your prompt attention to this serious matter.
I did start off with a full capsule. I haven't restarted it yet. I am now wondering if it was the inulin that gave her excessive gas.
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolemarie View Post
So should I discontinue use of the probiotic, or just reduce the dose and start slowly? DS has eczema and cradle cap and we are trying to improve his gut flora to see if it helps.

We are at a loss as far as elimination diet, since he was adopted and I am pregnant (unable to lactate)...and we have had no luck finding dairy free donor milk.
You can try adding nutrients, especially folate, B12, B6 and molybdenum. Those help support detox pathways so that he can better detox some of the things that might be causing the eczema. Biotin might be useful for the cradle cap.

www.detoxpuzzle.com
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonlight mom View Post
I did start off with a full capsule. I haven't restarted it yet. I am now wondering if it was the inulin that gave her excessive gas.
It is very common to react with gas and bloating and diarrhea to FOS and inulin. It is in indigestible sugar. It is supposed to feed the probiotics. However, testing shows it can make certain strains of bad bacteria grow as well. I think it depends on what mix you have got going on inside of you. I would do a non FOS/inulin version.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
It is very common to react with gas and bloating and diarrhea to FOS and inulin. It is in indigestible sugar. It is supposed to feed the probiotics. However, testing shows it can make certain strains of bad bacteria grow as well. I think it depends on what mix you have got going on inside of you. I would do a non FOS/inulin version.
Thanks, I thought it was the inulin. I will try to find one that doesn't have inulin/FOS but I don't know if there is one that is also dairy/soy free. I think I will just give up and take probiotics myself.
See less See more
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.