Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we always leave out our butter.... for whatever reason this one has been languishing maybe a couple weeks now (there's a straus one out at the same time
) and the taste is even more pungent than the usual organic pastures raw butter. i can't tell if it's good to eat. i know raw milk can't go bad (right?) so it seems like butter wouldn't, but i'm not sure if the oils can go rancid even though it's a more stable fat? any ideas? tia!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I believe that raw milk can actually go bad. Cultured milk prodicts definitely last longer but not indefinetly, so its very possible the butter has gone bad. The farm where i get my raw butter says to eat it within 3 weeks (or freeze for a max of 6 months)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Raw butter gets what I call "too tasty." It's cultured and I think the cultures go a little crazy after a while and make it taste strong and smell stinky. At that point I won't eat it. I have been removing some from the tub and leaving that in the frig, then sticking the rest in the freezer until I'm ready for it. That seems to be working for me. I never leave it out because I dont' want rank butter. I don't really think it would hurt you, it just isn't pleasant to eat anymore.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I don't think it would hurt you. In NT, in one of the side bars, she references a culture (scottish? irish? I think it was somewhere in the british isles) which ate rancid butter with oats. Now I don't know that it would be great for you, but it is interesting that they let their butter get rancid (or some of it) before eating it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.