Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Well, it says that parents will be given a permission part for the screening. And, honestly, school employees (teachers/counselors) need to be on the lookout for depression anyway, both from an educational standpoint and a liability standpoint; doing otherwise would be negligent.

But I honestly don't see how a school could legally give a pharmaceutical without parental consent. The liability would be enormous.

·
Premium Member
7,581 Posts
I think the article is written in a fairly inflammatory style and makes many conspiratorial leaps. The fact that mental health screening might be a recommendation does not lead necessarily to forced medication. Perhaps 50 years in the future with no parent involvement, this could happen. I think that aware involved parents would not let something like this gain a foothold. It shows that we should pay close attention to any permission slips that come home. There are also many parents that are not paying attention, and whose children are suffering from mental health issues. It would be a shame for these children not to get help that they need, since their parents will not necessarily recognize the issue.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I agree with lauren. I read most of the New Freedom commission this afternoon after reading the link posted, I didn't find anything about drug implants or drug therapy against parental wishes. I did see a lot about educating the parents as to appropriate therapies which seemed heavy-handed.

In my reading, I learned that vision is targeted as part of 'No Child Left Behind." I think I understand better an experience I had with my daughter's school this year. She had a vision screening in the fall, and a note came home from the nurse stating that she needed follow-up with an eye doctor. Since she had just had a visit two months prior and didn't feel she was having problems, I blew it off, but kind of wondered when they started vision screenings and why I wasn't told about it. Anyway, that letter was the first in a line of 'reminders', phone calls offering financial aid, requests to have a form completed by the eye doctor and returned to school, and
, I was told to be sure to take the original letter to the eye doctor because it had valuable information he would need to make his diagnosis. Huh? Like an opthalmologist needs a school nurse to tell him what is going on? Seriously? Anyway, I ignored it because I don't think the school needs to know the outcome. I am her parent, I make these decisions, not the school.

But still, I am disturbed by these hints of what is to come.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Theres a old saying I like;
"You can lead a horse to water but you can make him drink it."
One of the things it said was a permition slip would be sent home so you still have a say in it.

If presedant bush pushes it threw to were you dont need the parents concent, a war of parents agians the presedint will start, and if hes not smart enough to figure that out then we have a stupid president.

Also, in order for him to push that threw it will take quite a wile a lot of years. and by that time he'll be out of office and hopfuly, we wont get a nother stupid presedent.

And another thing a lot of people who vote are parents, and I dont think te'll all agree. But still right now you do have a say in it so try not to worry to much. Also president bush need to rember this is the land of the free.

And I dont think he has enogh guts to do that to parents.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kari and Lauren, good points. Kari- that is very interesting about the vision screen. Very "in your face" so to say. Interesting........ I can see how that would be VERY annoying though, since yes, YOU make those decisions.
That article would lead you to believe that parents "like you" who follow your OWN rules (which are better than some school's standards) and don't do every single thing the school recommends would have your children removed from your custody. That is not possible, on such a cut an dry level. The article WAS witten in an imflammatory manner, I agree. I read it and spazzed out, I'm glad you guys gave me a little perspective.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LandonsMommy
Theres a old saying I like;
"You can lead a horse to water but you can make him drink it."
One of the things it said was a permition slip would be sent home so you still have a say in it.

If presedant bush pushes it threw to were you dont need the parents concent, a war of parents agians the presedint will start, and if hes not smart enough to figure that out then we have a stupid president.

Also, in order for him to push that threw it will take quite a wile a lot of years. and by that time he'll be out of office and hopfuly, we wont get a nother stupid presedent.

And another thing a lot of people who vote are parents, and I dont think te'll all agree. But still right now you do have a say in it so try not to worry to much. Also president bush need to rember this is the land of the free.

Given the current "rules" about military recruitment written into "No Child Left Behind" (/Let No Child Get Too Far Ahead
) I do not think the vast majority of parents would connect one and one to get two in this situation.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I agree that the article is inflammatory, and just so you know, I'm mandated to check for depression as it relates to suicidal or homicidal ideation. Always have been. Tarasoff Act, you know. So by law, I've always been able to go and talk to your kid if there was reasonable suspicion of depressive behaviors...that's not new.

and slightly off topic, vision screenings aren't new either. I remember having them done as a child, which makes the screenings practically as old as dinosaurs
Why not just give the nurse or health clerk a call and say that you'd already been to the optometrist prior to the screening and all is well? I always find it bizarre that people go to such lengths to create negative relationships between themselves, and I think both school personnel and parents are guilty of this. I agree, you don't need to go again, but if they're genuinely concerned, why not allow them into your child's life and see their concern, kwim? Gee, better than a stick in the eye, or them not caring whether or not your kid can see the whiteboard, you know? There are kids out there who really can't see and really do need glasses, and their parents haven't just taken them to the optomestrist mere days prior to a screening and their parents really don't take them afterward either, and the school does end up having to do cartwheels to ensure the kid gets what the kid needs. It's not always a big conspiracy.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Based on reading other things they wrote in their publication, I would not believe a word of the article, even if it supported my beliefs. They appear to be uber-religious libertarian conspiracy theorists. Just happens to not be my thing.

Leatherette

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
I posted a few months ago about a school district requiring student to wear moniters, and I got few responses....the school district was getting kickbacks from the company that made them.

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiamnEmma
I Tarasoff Act, you know. So by law, I've always been able to go and talk to your kid if there was reasonable suspicion of depressive behaviors...that's not new.
The 'Tarasoff' Case was based on a premeditated murder and involved the relationship between a Univeristy Student, "an adult", and his Therapist ... this article is about school children who have parents or guardians who are responsive for them and should be advised or informed.

Quote:
and slightly off topic, vision screenings aren't new either. I remember having them done as a child, which makes the screenings practically as old as dinosaurs
I think your time line is off here.

Quote:
Why not just give the nurse or health clerk a call and say that you'd already been to the optometrist prior to the screening and all is well?
I have done this and I have been treated with a great deal of disrespect and condensation. BTW, I am the oldest of nine children and I have four children myself, and I helped raise my younger sister.

Quote:
I always find it bizarre that people go to such lengths to create negative relationships between themselves, and I think both school personnel and parents are guilty of this.
Do not judge others' experiences as you do not know where they come from.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I find the Bush Administration's choice of program names incredible. The New Freedom Commission on Mental Health? That's friggin' out of control! The same administration that calls their national unfunded mandate to schools "No Child Left Behind" (in part because it reinstates...leaving children behind!) that calls their draconian changes in basic freedoms the USA PATRIOT Act, that calls their election reform the Help America Vote Act (ensuring that some Americans will NOT vote!) that calls the war in Afghanistan Operation Enduring Freedom...If we hadn't lived through it, I would have thought it was a joke.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LandonsMommy
Also president bush need to rember this is the land of the free.

The Land of the Free....priceless.

And if parents don't know what's going on....."what you don't know doesn't hurt you." Or does it?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Quote:
The 'Tarasoff' Case was based on a premeditated murder and involved the relationship between a Univeristy Student, "an adult", and his Therapist
Yes, it was. It still applies. I am required, by law, to investigate any behavior that has suicidal or homicidal overtones. I'm certainly not saying that Bush is just fine or has good ideas, I was pointing out that some parts of this aren't new, that lots of this stuff already happens, parents may not be aware.

And no, my timeline on having had my vision screened is not off. I have a memory, I'm able to use it, I had my vision screened when I was a child at my elementary school. Maybe you didn't have yours screened. I did.

I'm sorry you've having such a rough time and that people are behaving in a condescending manner toward you at the school. And I stand by what I said. Parents and school staffs go to great lengths to create negative relationships. I was appalled by the way a school secretary treated me when I went to register my kid for kindergarten, and I've been appalled by the way staff members I work with have behaved toward parents. And I've been appalled by watching parents neglect their kids (not saying you're doing that, but it happens), and I can see why parents are defensive about their kids, and I can see why school personnel become jaded about parents the their responses/or lack thereof to issues.

I realize I sounded very snippy in the last post. I apologize. I was grumpy and I probably should have passed the post on by, because I didn't really help at all.

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiamnEmma.
I am required, by law, to investigate any behavior that has suicidal or homicidal overtones.
Let me get this straight; you can go around and look at children in the school environs and decide whether or not they are homicidal?

I have lots of experience with children; as I said I am the oldest of nine and the mother of four. I know for certain that counts for nothing in the world of the "educated and professional", so I have also worked IN schools for thirty years in every capacity possible. I have babysat for poor and very wealthy families. I know better than most what is out there.

As an educational aide, I found a student I tutored to be possibly suicidal ( she said that whe wanted to die), and I reported the case to the school psychologist; nothing was done and I was laughed at - I could not possibly know anything about that -- .... she committed suicide within a year...so sad...when I started to confront the school psychologist, she said that what I had told her had nothing to do with her eventual suicide.

Quote:
And no, my timeline on having had my vision screened is not off. I have a memory, I'm able to use it, I had my vision screened when I was a child at my elementary school. Maybe you didn't have yours screened. I did.
You said something about dinosaurs - that is what I meant by timeline. My children had their eyes checked at age five, nine and fifteen... never a problem....my youngest has worn glasses since age three, a condition I was concerned about, no other "expert". My Father was a doctor, my sister is a DDS, my brother an EMT, and my pediatrician is Dr. Paul M. Fleiss. I have never wanted for a good practitioner for anything.

Quote:
I'm sorry you've having such a rough time and that people are behaving in a condescending manner toward you at the school.
I NEVER desired a negative relationship with any of my children's or siblings' teachers. I just hate being ignored.

My oldest three children are victims of the LAUSD. I made a point of visiting their teachers once a week on a friendly basis and ask how they were doing. RArely did I ever get any valuable information.

My oldest three are now grown and sufficiently literate, no thanks to the public schools they attended.

My youngest was homeschooled to 6th grade and attends the very small, religious private school in which I have been a teacher for six years.
If you want a job well done you need to do it yourself.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.