Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't get it...i have been reading all the threads lately and when i asked this before i was told that it was understood that DA wasn't a "fabric softener" so it didn't coat the fibers, meaning there'd be no build-up. OK...BUT...i just looked at my bottle of DA...it says it IS a fabric softener AND it has the exact same ingredients as a bottle of Suavatel (cationic something or other), a cheapy fabric softner (which also says it's a fabric softener). so, where did this info of, "it's not a FS" come from? i assume it "works" as in, softens dipes but how can this be any different that other fabric softeners that we have always been told are BIG no-no's???

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
This is what downy says about it..

Leaves Cotton More Absorbent - Traditional fabric softeners tend to coat the surface of fibers, making fabrics less absorbent. Ultra Downy Advanced penetrates the fabric and then rinses all the way down to the fibers, so you don't have to give up softness for absorbency. Towels come out feeling fluffy. Cotton clothing retains its breathability, so it's light and airy next to your skin.

HTH

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
it has to do with what is used to act as the softening agent... traditional fabric softeners use a waxy like coating that gives the material the illusion of softness by coving up the material with a soft substance. where DA uses an ingredient that actually softens the fabric, therefor not coating it with anything that will cause repelling.

Im sure one of science moms will show up with the technical phrases and maybe even be able to name the exact ingredients

·
Registered
744 Posts
From everything I have been able to gather on the subject, I think that it does clearly reduce absorbance, but less than regular fabric softner.

When it says things like "superior absorbancy" and "more absorbant" it is comparing itself to regular softner, not comparing itself to not using any softner at all...

From their website:

Quote:
Ultra Downy Advanced coats and protects fibers and reduces dulling chlorine in the wash to help keep colors bright. Ultra Downy Advanced also leaves cotton more absorbent than traditional fabric softeners.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so, it almost sounds like it's telling us that it both coats and leaves fiber soft and silky, yet rinses away?

and on my bottle it has the EXACT same ingredient as a "traditional" fabric softener...the only ingredient listed, in fact.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I stopped using it because I felt so silly paying $$ for organic cottons and organic wool, then washing my diapers in a chemical that I am not supposed to let come into contact with my skin, kwim (and if you get any on your hand it really irritates)?
It just didn't gel, so I stopped using it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.