Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are seriously considering stopping homeschooling next year. My oldest would be in second, my daughter would be in kindergarten, and I would still have the baby (he'd be almost three next year, actually) at home. I would like to get my secondary school English teaching certification, but have no idea where to start. I have an (I assume) expired 11 year old music K-12 teaching certification, an undergrad degree in music ed with a minor in English, and a handful of graduate school credits in early childhood education. I live in a town with a small college, and there are two state universities within an hour. I'm in PA. I don't even know where to begin- any suggestions? I'd like to do whatever I would need to do within the next three to four years, and start teaching when the baby is in kindergarten.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Annettemarie, my advide would be to do something other than English. There are more opportunities in Science and Math than English. Dh is a teacher in PA and everytime he went to one of those teacher job fairs, there would be loads of people with English degrees. He and his friend are dual certified in Science and Math. Every booth they stopped in was trying to offer them the world to relocate to their state or come to their school when they saw their areas of certification. Elementary Ed is also another one to avoid. Moving was out of the question because of my job.

PM me if you like. I have a good grip on many of the schools that have education programs in PA.

mir

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I've seen tons of music positions listed recently also.

The state department of ed website is

http://www.pde.state.pa.us/
they have tons of good certification information.

If you got your undergrad degree in PA, it's probably good to contact the certification officer there as well since all certs go through universities in PA.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.