Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I know I need to get measurements for buying wool for my daughter but I am not totally sure how to do it honestly.

I want them for over fitted diapers so someone please give me a Detailed description of where to measure for them and if I should have on a diaper to do this etc.

PLEASE

Jessica

·
Registered
764 Posts
first of all, check with every single person you buy wool from, every pattern requires different measurements.

what *I* ask for (all wearing a fitted or prefold secured with snappi or pins, whichever your child most often wears):

waist just above the diaper
rise from tip of diaper, through the crotch, to tip of diaper
hip, just above leg openings of diaper
thigh, just under diaper around the thigh

Now from discussions with other knitters/crocheters I know that some people want you to include an inch or two to your rise measurement so that the soaker covers the diaper. I personally want the exact measurement as my pattern allows for that extra space and I need the true measurment, not what you want the soaker to be. Other people, you say "18 inch rise" and they knit 18". Some expect you to add an inch or two in the hip, some don't.

So confirm how to take the measurements every time you shop!

·
Registered
684 Posts
You should definitely have a diaper on when taking measurements.

Waist - measure around the midsection above the diaper waistline.
Rise - measure from the belly button, through the legs and up to the small of the back.
thigh - measure around the thickest part of the thigh.

Make sense?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup this makes sense. I actually did a custom order already with the gal from Heavenly Huggers and I need to remeasure my daughter and get ahold of her and hope that she hasn't started because I am thinking that I measured wrong and I would hate for them all to be wrong. I want them to fit her not be too small when I get them!

Thanks ladies
Jessica

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.