Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching for the last couple of hours and just can't get a handle on this.

We have a 99 Dodge Durango and it doesn't have LATCH. I don't even know what LATCH looks like, FTR.

Here are my questions:

So, a Regent HAS to have a tether from 65 to 80 lbs, but the radian says NOT to use a tether above 40 lbs. Is that right? If I don't have LATCH, I can't tether, right?

How does a tether work anyway?

I understand that WITH a tether, the seat moves only 4 to 6 inches in a crash, and without it up to 32". Obviously, the child would hit the seat in front of them.

I don't get it?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
I have been researching for the last couple of hours and just can't get a handle on this.

We have a 99 Dodge Durango and it doesn't have LATCH. I don't even know what LATCH looks like, FTR.

Here are my questions:

So, a Regent HAS to have a tether from 65 to 80 lbs, but the radian says NOT to use a tether above 40 lbs. Is that right? If I don't have LATCH, I can't tether, right?

How does a tether work anyway?

I understand that WITH a tether, the seat moves only 4 to 6 inches in a crash, and without it up to 32". Obviously, the child would hit the seat in front of them.

I don't get it?
Tether and latch are two separate systems. Your car probably either has a tether point (check the manual) or can probably have one retrofitted. A CPST here can probably tell you which, but I think that model year is around when they started including tether points in vehicles. It's a metal loop on the ceiling or floor behind the seat that you hook a belt from the child's car seat into.

Because of the age of your vehicle, your car seat would have to be installed with the vehicle belts, and then tethered from the top of the seat to an additional point somewhere in the vehicle. LATCH is used INSTEAD of the seatbelt (also in addition to the top tether). It involves a couple of metal loops in the seat crack that you hook the seat into.

To confuse things further, most seats are only tethered forward facing, not rear facing (only Britax and Sunshine Kids seats tether rear facing as far as I know.)

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So...why does the Radian say DON'T tether, and the Regent says MUST tether at the higher weight limits?

Is a tether always safer?

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Because the Radian is referring to LATCH limits. Both lower anchors and top tether anchors have weight limits, but the general consensus among car seat experts (like engineers, and NHTSA) is to tether past the LATCH weight limit.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, so I should, granted I can find one, tether dd's radian65? (Although she is 47 pounds?)

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
The Radian doesn't say that you can't tether at higher weight limits. They say you must respect the vehicle manufacturers limits on the lower LATCH (which looks like little hooks crammed between the seat back and the seat) which is usually 40-48lbs. This is true of almost all seats. The new "SL" (super latch) seats from Sunshine Kids Radian say that you can use LATCH to the limits of the seat with a car that was made after September 2005, and to my knowledge are the only exception.

Tethering while FF'ing is recommended for all children, and is required by law in Canada.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The Radian doesn't say not to tether it over 40 lbs. I think you're confusing the top tether with LATCH. Any seat *should* be tethered forward-facing, some *must* be tethered forward-facing. My car is a 1993 Volvo and doesn't have LATCH, and didn't come with top tethers but I installed them myself. The part cost $15 from the dealership and took <5 minutes to screw in. My Radian is installed with the seatbelt and top tether for my forward-facing over-40 lb. 4 yr. old. The top tether goes from the top of the Radian to the tether point on the back of the car's seat.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
Okay, so I should, granted I can find one, tether dd's radian65? (Although she is 47 pounds?)
Yes, and if you can't find a tether point, call a dealership and ask about getting one retrofitted.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wait...one more question. How do I tell which strap is for the tether?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
So glad I saw this thread. I had no idea that the LATCH hooks had a weight limit. I checked my owner's manual and nothing is mentioned about weight, but in doing so I realized that our seats are incorrectly installed
DH installed the seats so I didn't realize he was doubling up on the hooks (the center seat has no hooks). Our oldest's seat should be installed using the seat belt. Thank God we haven't been in any crash! Thanks to everyone for asking good questions and sharing good info. I appreciate everyone trying their best to keep all kiddos as safe as possible in our cars

Beth

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.