Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, for the past week my son (22 months) has been complaining of a booboo peepee. I have been trying to see what he is talking about and it all looks pretty ok to me. My guess was that he retracted it a bit too much and it got irritated. The foreskin only retracts a bit and I never retract it, but when he was complaining I did take a gentle look. Of course I only retracted as far as it naturally goes (not far at all)

Well, in the past two days I've noticed a little bit of white stuff (smegma?) around the edges of his forskin. Well this morning he was messing with it again and I checked the tip again and I noticed this one spot where lots of white stuff was, underneath his yet to be retracted foreskin is this huge lump of what I imagine to be more. I gently pressed on it and sure enough lots more came out. What is going on?

There is still a huge lump of it under there. Is something wrong? Should I get it all out? I'm afraid to go to the doctor about it. Help!

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Sounds like smegma to me. My first ds was forcibly retracted by an idiot ped when we moved away from the town he was born in, so I have no experience w/ it. My 2nd ds is 21 months, but hasn't really had that yet. I have read on here before about moms going through what you are and I'd say it's normal and nothing to worry about. It will come out on its own. Also, the pain might be completely unrelated. My first ds will tell me his penis burns if I give hima bubble bath or use any kind of fake bath products, like the colored foam or crayons, baby bath wash or any soap other than Dove or my homemade soap. Or if it's been too long since his last bath. Have you used anyhting different at bathtime? Used commercial wipes? (I use washcloths w/ plain water at diaper changes, w/ soap for poops.) Anything you can think of that might be irritating him? Cuz really, your ds is not like your dh (I assume your dh is circ'd since most American men are. Sorry if I'm wrong) w/ callused skin on his penis. He's more like you w/ mucous membranes down there and will get irritated (even get yeast infections) from things like bubble bath and body wash. Just a thought. I don't think I've ever heard of smegma pearls being painful.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your reply. We rarely take baths. My kids shower with me, so he rarely has direct contact with soap on this bits. He has also been potty learning and has been in underwear for at least a week, so no wipes. He does play with himself more since being in underwear. ???

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
From your description, it sounds to me as if the separation process is starting. It is quite common to get "smegma pearls" under the foreskin during this time which slowly work their way out. It is also very normal for toddlers to play with themselves more as they graduate from diapers to underwear. They might pull back a little too hard at times, resulting in irritation.
Unfortunately, you are wise to be wary of doctors, since most of them have no training in how to deal with intact penises. Too often, their solution to your "problem" would be circumcision.
We have to be the ones to educate the doctors.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
totally a combo of the underwear easy access and the natural seperation process! he'll be fine. Smegma's just shed skin cells and antibacterial enzymes.

I have a theory too, about itchyness when this happens. Frank said once that in his experience the beneficial bacteria growth under the foreskin takes a bit of time to get 'optimal'. Since your DS is just now getting those two skin surfaces apart and creating a preputial space between them, it might be a little time before they are at the right pH/bacterial-floral balance/gamma ray saturation/what have you :LOL

And to steal info from still another poster, bell bottom blues, I say yogurt yogurt yogurt! Then more yogurt. Eaten and also (he'll love this) applied directly to willy

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks you guys! Phew! I was worried there for a minute. I'm going to relax now.

I'm thinking the boo boo he keeps talking about is just irritation from him pulling on himself. But, everything I read says that it should only last a day or two and he has been complaining off and on for a week. Another theory I have is that he thinks it looks like a booboo since he is the only intact male in the house (dad and brother are circed, unfortunately). With potty learning he really has become aware of his foreskin in a big way. Well if it was inflamed and red I would be more worried, but it's not.

Thank you all for helping me!

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
He could be having a little trouble with the detergent you are using to wash the undies.

Try doing to his undies like you would cloth diapers, strip em. Dunno how to do that? Just wash them on hot with no soap till there are no more bubbles.

Detergent resudue has always irritated my genitals....and I'm female. I CD DD and I always make an effort to strip her diapers at least once a month along with my undies to clear out any and all detergent residue.

So try that *As well as stripping all your undies as well you might notice a huge difference* As well as losing the fabric softener for a while...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I wanna jump in and say: my almost 20 month old the other day told me Boo boo while scrunching up his foreskin and then proceeded to try to give his penis a drink :LOL he took his cup with a straw and said Juice Juice to his penis :LOL :LOL of course i was able to stop em.. and joked and said No thats where the juice comes outta of...

michele

1 - 13 of 13 Posts