Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1st grader is driving me nuts asking what a ton of words mean and I think its time to get her a dictionary
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Satori View Post
My 1st grader is driving me nuts asking what a ton of words mean and I think its time to get her a dictionary
Any suggestions?
We like the Oxford Illustrated (but then again, we're in Canada, so you may want something more "American"). We bought it when my eldest was about that age. It has lovely, plentiful illustrations in full colour, and enough white space per page to keep the text density from being too intimindating.

I've never been too impressed with children's dictionaries. I figure that by the time my kids, who have been read aloud to a LOT, can read and alphabetize well enough to use a dictionary, they already know 99%+ of the basic vocabulary that's in a children's dictionary. The first words my then-6yo wanted to look up was "plash", from one of Edward Eager's 1950's stories from his Half Magic series, and "moribund", which she'd heard on the radio. Both were in the Oxford Illustrated, and I'd wager they wouldn't be in any children's dictionary.

Miranda

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post
I've never been too impressed with children's dictionaries. I figure that by the time my kids, who have been read aloud to a LOT, can read and alphabetize well enough to use a dictionary, they already know 99%+ of the basic vocabulary that's in a children's dictionary.
Yes! That's what it was. I was trying to remember why we'd never used ours. I had thought to recommend it, because it was a very nice one - but then I remembered there was some reason we hadn't used it. If my son needed to look up a word, it was always one that wasn't in that dictionary, so he used regular ones. - Lillian

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's assuming the child has been read to a lot, mine hasn't
: Until recently she couldn't be bothered to listen to stories so she asking what a lot of words mean now that she's decided she likes stories.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
big brain book interactive dictionary, by oregon scientific -- oversized book -- uses a stylus

for these i am assuming your child can read; if not, check out picture dictionaries. the ones below have pictures but are for real readers. if she's a pre-reader, let me know and i can give you pictionary recommendations too.

macmillan first dictionary -- gives plurals and tenses

scholastic first dictionary -- uses words in sentences.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
scholastic first dictionary -- uses words in sentences.
It's just taking up space in the bookcase. Wanna swap?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts