Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I'm 98% sure that I don't have HELLP, but I keep worrying about it because of this damn pain/soreness I have under/in my right ribs.  I've emailed my doctor about it and he replied that so long as the pain doesn't intensify, it's probably just the result of the baby growing and running out of room and pulling on ligaments/pushing on nerves etc.  That reassured me for about two hours.  Then it started really pinching and I started worrying again. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>My blood pressure is fine, I don't have any headaches or nausea.  But I keep worrying nonetheless.  I had pre-e with my first and it was a terrible experience so maybe I'm developing a little paranoia as a result.  Anyhow, the "pain" I'm feeling is really more of a soreness, and when it's "bad" it's kind of crampy, burny or pinchy.  If I press (gently) on my lower right ribcage, it feels as though something is bruised.  The underwire on my bra sometimes bothers it - or at least seems to.  Really, I don't get much, if any, relief from taking it off.  Laying down and kind of stretching out the area brings relief, but once I get up or sit up again, it's back to bugging me. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've been searching the internet for descriptions of liver pain, but honestly, the descriptions are so vague!  I've read some birth stories of women who developed HELLP and it seems that the liver pain is excruciating and sudden - definitely  not what I'm experiencing.  This has been worsening for a few weeks and is NOT excruciating.  More frustrating and irritating.  It would probably just be another pregnancy annoyance (on par with pubic bone pain - it sucks and it might slow me down a bit, but it's not going to totally stop me from doing things) if I wasn't so anxious. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>So I guess what I'd like to hear is that this definitely does not sound like liver pain (from someone who's experienced it) or that it sounds exactly like something else I haven't thought of!  I considered gallbladder issues, but the location doesn't seem to match up.  From what I've read, gallbladder pain is closer to the breastbone than what I'm experiencing.  Plus this doesn't change with meal patterns, my heartburn isn't very bad (same as previous pregnancies, mabye even a little less).  I don't know.  Any ideas?</p>

·
Registered
255 Posts
<p>I had a heavy feeling in the same area, although no pain. I asked my PCP about it, and she said it was probably some inflammation in my digestive tract. I *think* she said the large intestines that actually start up in the upper right quadrant, even though you generally think liver, gallbaddler, etc. Now that I'm pg, I sometimes get the heavy feeling again, and my digestion has been affected by pregnancy so it makes sense to me. I would ask again though if you're worried.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>ETA: I realize this doesn't actually answer your question, but I just thought I'd mention it since it's another possibility...</p>

·
Registered
84 Posts
<p>Just thought I would chime in too.  It is true that your large intestine wraps up and around your right side.  It is your ascending and your transverse colon.  You could be having symptoms of a sluggish digestive tract or it really could be your gallbladder.  Gallbladder pain is different for everyone but I had pain on my right side.  During pregnancy your hormones can really inflame your gallbladder.  You can have stones that are literally the size of the grains of sand.  These can cause dull aches and almost a burning feeling.  Mine literally felt like a hot rock under my rib cage.  I was not pregnant during my issues.  I kept a food diary and discovered a few trigger foods.  I know that you said that you did not have food issues but mine was the fat in all animal meat.  It was not one food, it was one item in several foods.  When I became vegetarian the problem stopped.  I also used some homeopathic drops in my water and that seemed to help.  But I don't know if it is safe during pregnancy.  You will have to ask your Dr. or Midwife.  Unfortunately, there is not a lot you can do when your pregnant and surgery is a difficult choice to make when you are expecting, but, it can be done.  Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.  Hopefully it is a little baby foot that is stretching for room!</p>

·
Registered
418 Posts
<p>I was thinking if its anything other than just stretching, normal aches and pains, it could be your gallbladder.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I had mine out in 2002, long before I thought about being pregnant, but the pain during the "attacks" was very painful and on the right side under my ribs and radiated around to my back.  Nothing I did during it would make it feel better.  I just had to wait for it to pass.</p>

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
<p>Not exactly sure if what we're experiencing is similar but I just started feeling this soreness around the same area today. It's not constant, only when I move in certain direction, so I'm thinking it's either a ligament/muscle thing or the kid's been kicking so hard I have a cracked rib! I'm just going to see how the next few days go before I start worrying...</p>

·
Registered
213 Posts
<p>I'm also thinking gallbladder... had my own out many years ago, your symptoms sound familiar. They can do a sonogram on your gallbladder to see if there are any stones inside, and if you are in the midst of an "attack" they can do blood tests that can be diagnostic as well. If you determine that it is gallstones, there are dietary changes that can help, at least in the short term. Best of luck to you!</p>

·
Registered
901 Posts
<p>I would say gallbladder too.  You may want to check <a href="http://www.karenhurd.com/concern_gall_bladder.html" target="_blank">this</a> out.  Works awesome!</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts