Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been a million threads about this, but now i am actually going to move out of my parent's house, and need to figure out how to afford school, get good grades, and don't have to be away from ds too much. so, what do you do? can i take out loans? where do i take them from?
i'm getting stressed out just thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Student loans, grants, a tiny amount of CS, food stamps & CCDF. My DS is at a Montessori preschool/school 4 full days a week and I'm in school full time. It's tough, we barely scrape by but it's totally worth it. I have to remind myself of it this month but I know it is!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
what kind of a program are you thinking of entering? how long do you plan to be in school? how old is your kid? what is your childcare situation? what is the cost of living in your area? how much are you willing to take out in student loans?

deadlines are coming up for applying to schools, so you should move on this quickly.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I am just starting back to school in January but this is what I will be doing: Student loans (fill out the FAFSA, talk to your financial aid department) I am applying for as many scholarships as I can as well.
My dd will be going to preschool 2 full days a week while I am at school & I am taking a couple of classes online as well.
I am getting FS, heating assistance (hopefully) & no CS. Even with the help it will be very tight.
Good luck to you!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
windora, do you work? and do you live on your own?

the particulars of my situation- i am finishing my a.a.s. in early childhood ed, and am going to go on to get my BA in e.c.e., instead of stopping now (that was the original plan) but i'm also really needing to get out of my parent's house. ds is in preschool 5 days a week (headstart), and will be in kindergarten next year.

i guess my main thing is that i'd rather not work FT, but am i being a baby? should i just resign myself to the fact that i will have to work?

it is nice to read that people actually do this though, it makes me feel like it is possible.

·
Registered
703 Posts
You can totally do this! It's not always easy but it is so totally worth! And once you start the process of sorting everything out, you'll find that it's not too overwhelming at all.

Go to your prospective school's financial aid office. They will have you fill out a FAFSA. The results of that will take a couple of weeks, I think. If you are not working and are living on your own, I'd say that there's a VERY good chance that you're eligible for government grants. You can get additional loans, too, (subsidized government loans are what you want, and you'll probably qualify. Again, the financial aid office can explain all these things; that's indeed their job) if you need them to survive on your own. For instance, I have received government grants AND scholarships all of which covers the full cost of my tuition--which itself includes a bit of money towards cost of living. In all, I receive about $5,000 per semester after all my fees are paid! That's not a lot of money to live on, but it certainly helps. I could get additional loans, too, if I wanted to.

I don't know where you are planning to go to school but there are often employment opportunities at your school--the good thing is the can be quite flexible, but many of them tend to be low-paying. I know, that, at my school (which is a major university), there are opportunities to do research, which would allow you to do a lot of work from home. You might want to look into something like that. Also, most schools have offices that can help you with employment.

It's hard, but many, MANY women do it--and think what a better life you'll be able to provide for your lo--and enjoy yourself! Good luck to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.