Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to post here before our 4th dd was born, I wanted to UC but dh wasn't on board at all so we ended up with a hospital birth (complete with epidural and vacuum assist) Now, we are trying for baby #5 (I'm testing this weekend WOOHOO!!!) and we live about 2 minutes away from the hospital that I will NEVER deliver in again no matter what. We can't really *afford* the gas for me to drive out to my OB that handled my last 2 pregnancies (but we can do it for my yearlies no issue, I love this man and will NEVER consider switching practices) so I have to find an OB or midwife to handle a pregnancy, or go with UP since our insurance won't cover a homebirth (they only cover a CNM under an OB, and the only one in this area doesn't do homebirths) So, I was thinking that since I hate the hospital and don't want a different doctor, we should UP/UC this time around. I feel led to it, really I do. DH is not at all receptive, he swears that its reckless and dangerous to UP/UC (even though we have 4 dds and I've had 4 successful pregnancies with only self-imposed restrictions because I knew it was right and had my OB agree with the restrictions) I mentioned it to him again this evening on the phone, and he didn't go off on his usual ranting spiel of curses and insults about the idea and my sanity for considering it, so I'm guessing this means that he is becoming more open to the idea. We have a nice comfy REAL house with space to set up a kiddie pool for me to labor and birth in if I want, and I really do think its an option. He seems to really be starting to open up to it, I've got 9+ months to convince him though (right now we're looking at a 3/11/10 EDD if we got it this cycle, its our first cycle trying) in a very gentle way.

But seriously, can we do this after having 4 hospital births (with the 3rd having a lot of issues and just narrowly missing being an emergency c/s and the 4th being my only epidural)? After having so much medical intervention involved with past pregnancies and births, I kind of question my ability to be able to do this, and I know dh is really questioning his ability to remain solid when its crunch time (and he said please don't make him catch the baby LOL fine, I'm thinking waterbirth anyway at this point) I just don't know if we really CAN do this, on a personal level. Does that make any sense at all? You would think that after 3 years of researching UP/UC that I would know everything there is to know about it, but I feel like I really don't know anything at all about how to do this really and how to just trust in myself.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
lol Lots of mamas here have had UC's after c/s's and various other types of hospital births and done just fine. Read some more birth stories. Ask yourself what your fears are. Figure out how to handle each one. You've got plenty of time to get comfy with it or not. You're allowed to change your mind whenever you like. There's no cutoff date

Good Luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts