Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm 5', DH is 6'. I'm right-handed, he's left-handed. I was completely confused by BW, but thanks to MDC and a baby wearing site, I am feeling much less foggy now, though still confused.

I thought I'd decided that we should get a Karma Baby first. (I thought it made the most sense for us to get one and share first so then we could decide what we do/don't like about it for when we get more.) But she is going to be born in October, so I started looking at the Kangaroo fleece pouches, and then I got confused. That site mentions right and left shoulders, so I guess you have to pick one or the other - is that based upon comfort level and whether one is right or left handed? If that's so, does this only matter for Kangaroo and not for Karma?

HELP!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
It sure can be confusing picking out a sling!

i'm not sure you and DH would be able to share a pouch (any brand) b/c of your height difference. I know I can't with my DH--I'm 5'3" and he's about 6'. I have a KK fleece pouch--it's snapped for the right shoulder (I'm right handed). It can be worn on either shoulder *except* when doing the hip-carry (for older babies). Then, it has to be worn on the shoulder it is made for. Most people buy for the shoulder of their dominate hand, so that when wearing the baby in a hip-carry, the pouch rests on your dominate shoulder and baby is on the opposite hip (how most people would carry a baby when not using a sling).
I'm not familiar with Karma Baby, but from their site it looks like their pouches aren't adjustable, so you are just buying for size, not a specific shoulder. Meaning you could wear it on either side, even in the hip-carry.
If you want something both you and DH can wear, you might want to look into a Mei Tai. They can be used with newborns. Kozy and Babyhawk are some well known (and loved!) ones. Kozy has directions for newborn carries on their site: http://www.kozycarrier.homestead.com/Index.html

HTH!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am also a newbie but thought I would share from my (limited) experience.

The pp is right, for a non-adjustable pouch, you probably cannot share with your dh. With an adjustable pouch it is more possible depending on your sizes.

I know you said you already decided on a pouch, but I just wanted to plug the stretchy wrap. We have a Moby Wrap which is one of the cheapest wraps available (under $30), but both dh and I can wear it and it is so snuggly and comfy esp. for a new baby. We are still using it now for our 4.5 month old. The directions that come with are very clear as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
My partner and I have the same problem as well.....I'm 5 feet tall and he is 6 feet tall. I have a pouch carrier to fit me for when I am out and just purchased the Hug-a-Bub (same concept as the Moby wrap) for us to "share".....also wanted to let you know that when our first child got too heavy for the Bjorn we used we switched to the Ergo and it was both fabulous and fit both of us just fine (just had to adjust the straps to whomever was wearing it). There is an infant insert that is available for the Ergo as well, but I am not personally familiar with it.

Hope that helps!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.