Mothering Forum banner

Can we talk about the kind of chair your child eats in...

523 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Jennifer Z 
#1 ·
My children are 3 and 6 and have elevated chairs they eat in at the table. My 6 y.o. is the highly active guy with sensory issues who is clearly uncomfortable in many chairs. We made it worse by taking off the fold-down steps because he was constantly banging them on the floor, but he really needs a footrest. I wonder whether a lot of the wooden junior chairs I see would be adequate--he is constantly putting his feet on the edge of the table and tipping backwards, despite repeated reminders.

He would not want to sit at a different (lower) table with his sister on a regular basis (tried that). I often read of the importance of proper seating for kids with sensory issues, but I usually don't see recommendations for specific chairs.

Sherri

#2 ·
My son usually stands when he eats - its hard to get him to sit still and he's underweight so if he's eating we don't care if he's standing. My daughter (3.5) is still in a high chair. She's just started using utensils regularly though so we think she may be ready to move to the table hehe.

#3 ·
My kids sit on Stokke Tripp Trapp chairs:
http://www.stokkeusa.com/tripptrapp.htm

They are quite stable, IME, but my kids are not terribly active so I may be wrong.

They do sell stabilitzers, higher backs, seatbelts, pommels, etc through the special needs suppliers. We got all of the above plus the chair paid for by insurance for my oldest DD. The PT also put latteral supports on her chair. They were designed for a wheelchair but she put them on the back of the Stokke with velcro and they work quite well.

I hope you find something that works for your family!

#5 ·
Well, mine are still pretty small, but they both have booster chairs. I am lucky that they actually enjoy doing their own belts on the chairs too. Eli still ends up pushing the seat up and banging the wall a lot though. I think I will look into that trip trapp thing.

#6 ·
We have a kinderzeat--no longer sold, but it's almost exactly the same as the Trip Trap. It is expensive, but works very well for DS. He has not managed to tip it over yet and he does push himself out off the table all the time. The seat and footrest heights are adjustable. He has been climbing in and out by himself since we got it (when he was about 2.5 I think). We are quite pleased with it.

#7 ·
Ds has the Stokke Tripp Trapp chair. It's great because it supports up to 300lbs...which means even I can sit in it.

It came with the seat belt. He liked the seat belt but I want to take it off because it's a hassle. I love that you can adjust the seat height and foot rest height. Plus, they have many funky colors.
My son is quite active and the chair is very stable.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GC_Mom View Post
My son usually stands when he eats - its hard to get him to sit still and he's underweight so if he's eating we don't care if he's standing.
For the most part this is true for us too. We do try and get him to sit for a minute or two now, but we only started trying to do that again recently (we try about every 6 months or so). This time it is mildly more successful so we will continue trying to encourage it as time goes on. He sits in the normal dining room chair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.