Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard all the horror stories and its scared me off enough it not want to do it but it appears I'm a carrier for a couple of serious genetic diseases and I don't feel its right to risk bringing another child into the world with these problems so if its confirmed tomorrow that my dd has this newest defect which will result in blindness in a few years on top of her other issues then I've decided its time to get it done while I don't have the baby bug becasue its already nipping at me and I just don't think its fair to intentionally bring a disabled baby into the world. I know there's a chance everything could be fine but why risk it? To avoid it I would need to either do IVF with PGD or use an egg donor and no way no how will I go the donor route again, already got burned big time there. So, tell me what to expect?

fwiw, I'm in my 30's and have 2 children who are both special needs with serious health issues and genetic problems and this is something I have been thinking of for a long time but with this latest dx and baby lust setting in I think its time to act.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Wow - though I am sure it's hard for you to consider a tubal, I totally understand your reasoning!

Though I don't know alot about tubals and the lasting effects, I would be interested to hear what others might think. My husband has stated that we could have another child if I agreed to a tubal afterwards, but I am not sure that I am willing to do that at this point. I am scared of surgery and fearful of something going wrong. I might consider it if I had to have a cesarean though.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I had a tubal done almost 5 months ago after having my 3rd (and final) baby. I do not regret it, and haven't noticed any of the horror side effects that I've heard/read about. my period has actually been much lighter and shorter than before, and cramps are hardly noticable. I've only had 2 AF's after the baby, but went 3 months in between the 2 AF's with horrible cramping. don't know why, but during AF, it's been fine. I have noticed that I have a lot more mid cycle spotting, and spot for about a week before AF starts, which sucks, but it's not enough to wear a pantyliner for.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Jenn,

Out of curiousity - did you have a c-section or just a tubal by itself?
You also mentioned that you get horrible cramps during the month, but not during your period - do you think that is from the tubal?

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
First, let me say that I'm sorry.

I also think you are being very responsible and considerate.

Have you checked into the Ensure method? I think it's spelled like that. Esure or Ensure? Anyway, no surgery. It's an outpatient procedure. They insert a metal (or plastic?) spring into each tube via the vaginal opening and cervix. The tubes grow scar tissue around the springs and block the tubes.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
May I suggest going for Ensure instead. If I had known of it I would have done that instead of my tubal.

I am having IBS problems, hot flashes, sweating in my sleep and while awake now, and irritability beyond what I've ever been during pms (and I was bad for irritability during pms, I mean - steer clear of that chick I seen on the street, cross it, she's psycho irritability during pms).

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I've read the horror stories, too. I'm trying to decide if I want to have a tubal when I have my next babe (she'll be a C/S) ... my OB says that she's heard *of* post tubal ligation syndrome (the generic term for the horror stories) but hasn't actually had a patient with anything remotely like it. She said the worst she's heard her patients talk about is heavy/irregular periods, but they were almost all on hormonal BC before the tubal, so they weren't really having 'real' periods anyways.

Anywho, after talking with her a bit more, I'm back to leaning towards the tubal. I really don't like hormonal BC, and since I'm already 36 and this will be my second child, I'm certain I'm done with being pregnant
And since I'll be full-monty open on the table anyways, it'll be easy for her to get to my tubes and put the little band on each of them.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
we're pondering it here too.
We're done after 3 kids. If we change our minds later, there are soooo many other children in the world looking for a good home...

I'm so not comfortable with them inserting anything into my body--we have scar issues in my family. I would be terrified of the damage that would do

but we have to do something...*sigh*

fwiw--dh will go for a vasectomy too, after I have the tubal ligation...if we do go this route.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I wish you luck in your decision.

"... my OB says that she's heard *of* post tubal ligation syndrome (the generic term for the horror stories) but hasn't actually had a patient with anything remotely like it. She said the worst she's heard her patients talk about is heavy/irregular periods"

I just wanted to put in that these are not just urban ledgends. I am listing all the people I know in real life who had hysterectimies as a direct consequence of their tubals. All of these women had hysterectomies due to excessive/hemmoragic episode or severe life interrupting cramps that came on within months of their surgeries. Some of these women care some don't ALL believe they where directly related to their tubals.

My mom tubal- 38yo Hyst-45 yo
aunt in law tubal after last kid hyst 9 years later
dh's sis- tubal 29yo Hyst -36yo
dh's sis tubal 32yo - Hyst 34yo
Dh's bro wife tubal 30yo - hyst scheduled 34 yo
My first cousin tubal 28yo- Hyst- 30yo

I absolutely realize not all women have these side effects however I think they are EXTREMELY underplayed in our society. I wish you much peace and luck in your decision. I have no idea what I would do in your situation.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I know of several women also who have had hysterecotomies, but it was not immediately after the procedure...
my mil and my other mil (dh's dad has been married a few times *lol*)

both had hys.'s within...2-3 years afterwards? in their 30's? (they had their last kids in their 20's)

I've heard ofmore and I have other friend who have had severe complications and were not on hormonal b/c before having kids...so they would know.

I owuld never ever do it, I'd make dh do it if we went that route or I'd consider that other thing someone mentioned ( the tubal stick thingy *lol*) sorry my brain is fried right now.)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I know that this is an older thread but I just wanted to put it out there that the problems with Post tubal syndrom are not found in women that have had a clip put on the tube and not have the tube cut. The main causes of PTS are the cutting of the nerves and the blood supplies when they cut the tubes.
I had clip put in place almost 2 years ago when my youngest was born (by c/s) and have not had ANY issues at all and I am very happy with it (although the clips do have a slightly highter failure rate- if that happens then I would just consider it someone from above making the choices)

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by momtoalexsarah View Post
I know that this is an older thread but I just wanted to put it out there that the problems with Post tubal syndrom are not found in women that have had a clip put on the tube and not have the tube cut. The main causes of PTS are the cutting of the nerves and the blood supplies when they cut the tubes.
I had clip put in place almost 2 years ago when my youngest was born (by c/s) and have not had ANY issues at all and I am very happy with it (although the clips do have a slightly highter failure rate- if that happens then I would just consider it someone from above making the choices)
What are the clips called? I'm not having much luck finding info on them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just wanted to throw in another tubal experience.

I had one in April and have had no problems at all since and it has really improved our sex life.

I will say the operation itself was rather a bigger deal than I imagined when I first made the decision. My husband and my mother each missed two days of work, because someone needed to be at the hospital with me while someone else needed to get big kids off to school and watch baby during the operation. I recovered pretty quickly but I was still not in fit state to be left alone with the baby the next day.

I was (still am ) nursing and had to pump and dump for a day and that was pretty unhappy for me and baby.

I guess we could've managed with mom going back home after a day, therefore only missing three person-days of work instead of four.

There were probably 10 people in the operating room when they wheeled me in! Don't know what they were all for since I was out minutes later, but doc doing the operation, nurse, anesthesiologist, nurse anesthesiologist, and some others.

One kind of morbid consideration for me in making the decision for a tubal was that even if I get raped, I won't have to worry about getting pregnant (I'm just worst-case scenario that way)

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I had a tubal six months ago and have had no negative side effects at all. As for the procedure itself, honestly, getting my wisdom teeth out had a much worse - and longer - recovery.

FTR, you can't have Essure done if you have a nickel allergy, so if you have trouble wearing earrings get tested for an allergy before having Essure put in.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by whateverdidiwants View Post
I had a tubal six months ago and have had no negative side effects at all. As for the procedure itself, honestly, getting my wisdom teeth out had a much worse - and longer - recovery.

FTR, you can't have Essure done if you have a nickel allergy, so if you have trouble wearing earrings get tested for an allergy before having Essure put in.
Good thing to know, I'm allergic to all but 14k gold ear rings.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Sorry I didn't come back here sooner, I have Filshie clips in place, if you google them you will find them. They are far more common is Canada and Europe then in the US, My OB likes them better for younger women then the other types of clips because they last longer (they are made of non-reactive titanum - I have nickle/gold/copper allerigies and they checked on this before putting them in). My OB also likes them because they have a 90% reversal rate (If you decide that you need them reversed) She said that she would much rather do a reversal on a woman with these then try and get a woman preganant after 5 years of Depro provera.
I've had no side effects at all actually my POCS seems to be better them before and I am getting regular periods now (this after 5 years of Infertility before we had our son) On occation I will feel a little "tug" at the ovary durring certain times of my cycle , but this is more then likely from scaring after 3 c/s in 2.5 years.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.