Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mamas,

How do you all get enough fiber in your diet to keep things moving smoothly? I really need some suggestions, recipes, ANYTHING that does not involve prune juice or All Bran!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
First off, try to increase the amount of water you're drinking. At times, I *think* I'm drinking a lot of water until I actually keep track. Then I discover I'm not drinking that much at all. Drinking more water will help with moving thing along, but you have to be diligent about it. Speaking of, it's 90 degrees out, I've spent a lot of time working in the garden, and I'm only up to 60 oz so far today. Off to chug.

Other than that, I eat 5-6 dried apricots every day, plus oatmeal in the morning (either as slow-cooked thick rolled oats or as granola).

·
Registered
447 Posts
What helps me is a daily bowel of oatmeal with extra bran added. The bran is less than $2 a box by the hot cereals. You can add it to yogurt and many other things. The box offers some ideas too. You could also use ground flax seed to get some good oils too.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Heh. I'm having trouble with that, myself. I found it easier to drink enough if I literally took a pint sized mug to work. It's recommended you drink 64 oz per day. Well one pint is a quarter of that. So you need 4 pints a day. It doesn't have to be just water, either. I really enjoy sparkling water with a bit of juice mixed in.

The other thing I'm doing a lot of is eating dried fruits, dried prunes, mixed nuts (whole with skins on) and so on. That's been helping a bit, too.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I am having the same problem!! I fell like I am 9 mos pg! I eat a lot of whole wheat bred, salads, carrots, apples, pears, cheerios, but still having problems. I remember in Dr. Sears baby book they mentioned that pears and pumpkin are really good sources.
I am going to pay attention to my water intake. I think I'm drinking enough,but maybe not.
I'm thinking about adding some fiber drink. YUCK!

·
Registered
457 Posts
i agree about oatmeal. i've been trying to up my protein, so i was eating an egg sandwich for breakfast...but it's too filling, takes too long to digest. so now breakfast #1 is oatmeal with fruit, raisins, almonds, cinnamon....then breakfast #2 (which i'm actually hungry for...) can be a sandwich with cheese and eggs and stuff. I'm having trouble wanting to eating and mananging to gain weight, so this works for me.
K

·
Registered
887 Posts
try to drink tons of water and decaf iced tea through the day. Other things not mentioned are kashi cereal (I eat it dry and carry it around to munch on) and la tortilla factory whole wheat tortillas. They are often in with the lo carb products. TWO of the large tortillas meet ALL of your daily fiber requirements and they only have like 70 calories each and lots of protein and only 3 grams of fat.

I am a veg who consumes massive amounts of fiber and fluid and I still have issues with constipation while pregnant.

I ditto the glycerin suppositories IF you totally need them. They do not "stimulate" the whole digestive tract though. My permanent fix (until birth) is 1 tsp of mint milk of magnesia EVERY night before I go to bed. It was what I did in the latter half of my first pregnancy and what I am doing now. NO issues at all anymore. ; )

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
This will only help some of you who have store in your state, but Trader Joe's sells a brand of whole grain, whole wheat bread that starts with an M that has 5 g per slice.

A peanut butter sandwich in the morning gets you 10g. That seems to work better than oatmeal. it's portable, too!

Read the labels, because I have never found a brand of bread with more! It completely changed DH's digestive tract for the better, too.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Mamas!!!

You've reminded me that I am not getting nearly enough fluids throughout the day
:

Thanks for the other ideas as well, they're just what I needed! I'm not yet at the point where I need a suppository, so hopefully I can avoid that

xmasbaby7, we don't have a Trader Joe's where I live
I used to love that place though...

If anyone else has any other suggestions, please keep them coming!

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
Cherries! LOL I cant stomach water right now so I have just been eating tons of fruit and its been working. Yesterday I ate 2 plums and 4 nectarines. LOL It works though. I throw some of them up so I figure if I eat extra, some fiber will stick. LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.