Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my DS is afraid to poop. He was exclusively breastfed for 6 months and we very slowly started the solids. Meaning he would have a little something one day maybe nothing the next etc... Just recently since 11 months is coming next week I started to make sure he got some solids everyday. Partly because I wanted him to be more used to eating by a year, and he finally really started showing interest the last month or so.

So for the first 10 months of his life he has only had those runny light colored breastfeeding poops, usually in the morning about and hour or two after he wakes up. So he's started to get more solid and gone a few days here and there without having a BM. Today he was standing in the living room, playing and he paused, got the poop face, then right away he started to scream and cry like he does when he's hurt himself, or bumped his head. I check his diaper and sure enough he's had a normal solid BM. Not constipated, not hard, but like a regular poop.

Am I being overly sensitive for my son? I really think that since this was the first time something exited him that wasn't liquidy he had a hard time with it and it really hurt him. Has anyone else had an experience like this?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
YES!!!
I'm so glad it's not just me!!
DS is almost 8mo and we've just been tasting solids. At 6mo we started some pureed foods, maybe 1/2oz each day, not much. (I make my own so it was like 1/2 a cube) Well, just within the last 2 or 3 weeks, since Thanksgiving, I started giving him 2 feedings a day, about 1 cube (maybe less) at each feeding, not much at all. DS poops the SAME WAY! He gets the poop face and then kinda cries. I feel so bad, I don't know what to do for him or how to help him. I've tried increasing his water, I give him a sippy cup to play with at "mealtime". I've tried increasing his nursings, but he already nurses quite a bit during the day. I guess he's just learning how to poop and it's a little sore coming out. I've checked his little hiney hole and he has no outside fissures. I don't know how to help him either

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Ds#3 did this as well and I thought he just hated pooping. In fact he still does this almost every time he poops and he is 20 os. I say that if the poo is the same it means he probably doesn't like to poop and is apprehensive about it.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Maybe you could feed foods that tend to give a more runny poo with solids while getting used to the feeling. Hopefully he is only surprised or unhappy about the sensation and not in real pain or discomfort.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Fern sometimes gets fussy after she poops (and I don't always know why til I pick her up to nurse her (yes, still my first line of response :LOL ) and get a whiff). I think she just doesn't like how it feels and wants to be changed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.