Mothering Forum banner

Can we talk swim diapers?

717 Views 11 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  alybeans
My DD is my first CD'd babe. Last summer I remember what a disgusting mess those disposable swim diapers were! DS was in the pool, and I caught him just as he pooped, and even though it was a solid poo, his diaper was full of water, and the poop started to leak out as soon as I got to him. I took him out of the pool and pulled the diaper of of him, and all this poop water came splashing out! Yuck!!! There aren't many options in disposable swim diapers, I thought I has the right size although DS is skinny, but maybe they do really suck that bad. I was so embarrassed. I had to tell the lifeguards that there was a little bit of poop in the baby pool.

Hopefully DS will be out of diapers by this summer (we're almost there), but I need something for DD. I would like to avoid disposables at all costs. What do you like to use, and where do you get them?

Thanks!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
It actually sounds like the swim dipe worked exactly how they are meant to...hold in the poop until you can get to baby...

But anyway.
We use the swim diapers sold at Target. They are usually, in the few stores I have seen them at, on an end-cap display, not quite in baby gear, not quite in baby clothes. In between.

I think the girls usually are bikini style, and for boys they have speedo style and trunks. They will also sell sets, with matching hats and shirts (and swim dipe).

Basically they are a "water"proof outer (really poop proof LOL) and a soft terry inner, and they are meant to be snug enough to hold in poop! Don't put baby in it until you GET to the pool, or you'll have a pee mess.
I'm sure you know that, though.

www.onestepahead.com also sells cloth swim diapers.
See less See more
OH! We have also used Fuzzibunz, one size down from what he normally wears, with NO insert and done up tight. They function just the same as the cloth swim dipes.

I WILL say, however, that DS has never pooped while in the pool, so I actually don't have the experience to say how any of them function with poops.
I have to say, I had a similar experience with the one-piece washable swim diapers. It was sooo nasty I threw the diaper away and my dd went home naked because I had to use the towel to wipe the poop off her legs. So I would recommend something that opens up on the side to take care of poop.

I just noticed our local Y has a new rule that you can *only* use the washable kind, not the disposable kind. The sposie swim diapers don't meet some healthy regulations. My dd is potty training now and tells me when she has to poop. Otherwise I would have her in something that opened on the sides.

WARNING: do not use an empty pocket diaper or other kind of regular diaper on a baby in the water unless you are holding them the whole time!! It is a drowning hazard! If you allow your child to play in a wading pool or on the steps of a big pool, have them in an actual swim diaper. They fit more closely to the body like underwear and don't allow a lot of water to pool inside the diaper or diaper cover. Last summer I had my then 1.5 year old in a FB cover in our small wading pool. She stood up and the diaper was all full of water and it threw her off balance, and she fell back down again because of the weight and could not stand up until I took it off. The same is true for regular disposable diapers.
See less See more
I've never had an actual swim diaper, I just used Bummis original covers or an unstuffed FuzziBunz... my DS hasn't pooped in the pool before either, but I'm sure they work just as well as anything else as long as you have a snug fit.
Imse Vimse/Bumpy makes some very cute swim diapers that snap open on one side for easier removal if there is a mess.
I also second the warning not to use pockets if you are not going to be holding onto your child 100% of the time. I used a pocket with DS last summer and it filled up with water and weighed him down.
Amy
We plan on using a bummis cover this summer. DS has almost outgrown his mediums, so they should fit just fine without a diaper underneath (you are supposed to size down if you use them as a swim dipe). I want to be able to open it up if he poops. I hate the idea of pulling down a poopy diaper and getting it everywhere. ugh!

I think anything that is adjustable (cover, unstuffed pocket, ect) is going to hold the poop better because you can get it nice and snug around the legs.

Yes, definitely be careful if you use an unstuffed pocket. In fact, I wouldn't use one unless the baby was very young and would not be out of my arms at all. Toddlers can just take off too quickly and it scares me about the diaper getting weighed down.
Quote:

Originally Posted by roseselene
Imse Vimse/Bumpy makes some very cute swim diapers that snap open on one side for easier removal if there is a mess.
Whenever dd's gone swimming, we've used these, and they've been great.

Here's a link.
Quote:

Originally Posted by odenata
Whenever dd's gone swimming, we've used these, and they've been great.

Here's a link.
how does the sizing run on these? true to the weight ranges? DD is somewher ebetween 20-25 lbs but has pretty chunky thighs lol
Well, DS is 29 ish pounds and so according to the size chart he'd be in an xlarge, but he still sort of fits into a large. If that helps. He's long and has somewhat chunky thighs, but not terribly chunky thighs.
Amy
See less See more
We used and loved the Imse Vimse's last year and for her swimming lessons and they worked great! I've got to try them on ther again soon, if they don't fit I'm going to buy more. The side snaps are great if they poop, you don't get poop smeared al over their legs from pulling them off.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.