Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have trash? And what do you do with it?

We're reading up on self-suffiecient living. We've seen that almost anything can be recycled or composted, but I'm wondering for those of you that are "living it"...do you have anything that doesn't readily recycle or that you need to "dispose" of? How do you do it? I know a lot of people out in the country burn stuff (not sure whether thats any better for the environment than a land fill).

Specifically, I'm curious about styrofoam (sp?
: ) I ask b/c DH is diabetic and his insulin arrives cold-packed in stryrofoam. How do I "dispose" of this properly ~ or is there some safe way we could be "reusing" this?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Oh gosh please, please don't burn it. Please don't burn anything actually. Do you have a town dump? We have to bring everything to the dump here. Kind of annoying at times, but whatever.
We used to burn whatever could be burned under the assumption that it was better than filling up landfills with it. Then I read an article from the DNR about burning trash and, wow, I suddenly felt like a total a$$.
: We haven't burned anything but clean firewood since then.

Here's a link with more links.

As for the styrofoam, have you ever looked into whether or not there are alternatives to packing cold items in styrofoam? If there are, perhaps you could contact the pharmacy and ask them about it. Complain even. Obviously it's not an option to not get the insulin, but I know that when people complain about packaging enough, people do listen. I have seen packaging changes from other companies in the past.

Here is a link to an EPS recyling site. Are you sure that the packaging is styrofoam and not expanded polystyrene? Of course, if it is EPS, it doesn't appear that there are an abundance of EPS recycling sites, but maybe you are close to one?

I hope some of this might be of some help.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I live in a small town, and we have a recycling and transfer station instead of a dump. Anything you can't recycle or reuse, etc, you bag and it's compacted and sent to some other town.

All reusable stuff is left in the free store. Dishes, pans, baby goods, skis, books, records, furniture, etc. Egg cartons are saved for people who use them to start their wood stoves.

Our post office takes the packing materials and saves them for others, like me, who have small businesses. Ask, yours may know of someone who could use it too. Or try Freecycle.

We burn brush we've had to clear a few times a year and our paper feed bags, and burnable stuff is used to start the fires. I start my BBQ grill with 6 sheets of newspaper put under the coals. (tightly rolled)

DH takes his lunch to work in leftover deli containers.

The pigs and chickens eat most of our leftovers, bones go in the freezer to make stock. Some stuff goes to the compost.

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Red
I live in a small town, and we have a recycling and transfer station instead of a dump. Anything you can't recycle or reuse, etc, you bag and it's compacted and sent to some other town.

All reusable stuff is left in the free store. Dishes, pans, baby goods, skis, books, records, furniture, etc. Egg cartons are saved for people who use them to start their wood stoves.

Our post office takes the packing materials and saves them for others, like me, who have small businesses. Ask, yours may know of someone who could use it too. Or try Freecycle.

We burn brush we've had to clear a few times a year and our paper feed bags, and burnable stuff is used to start the fires. I start my BBQ grill with 6 sheets of newspaper put under the coals. (tightly rolled)

The pigs and chickens eat most of our leftovers, bones go in the freezer to make stock. Some stuff goes to the compost.
Oh goodness, I should have clarified that our dump does indeed have recycling and place for reusable items.
: Sorry. We buy our eggs from a neighbor and always bring the cartons back to them.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Red

These are some good ideas. We have the same type of trash station situation where we are. Right next door to it is a recycling plant that will take just about anything that can possibly be used for recycling that's made of metal. The trash station folks have a warehouse set up to store items that can be used in building or repairing housing for low income familes.

I love Freecycle. That's a very good idea about the post office. I seem to remeber that places like Office Depot recycle foam packing too (to use in the packing peanuts). It's worth checking.

LeBoof

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Oh gosh. I'm guilty of burning our garbage. Off to look at the links that the pp gave. Why do I get the feeling I'm going to come out feeling like an a$$ too?!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts