Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish this wasn't on my mind, but it is and I have to get it out. I dread my weigh ins at my appts. I am on the same track as I was with my son but at about this time I let myself go and started stuffing my face and went crazy and gained a bunch of weight. I think it was bout 45 lbs total. I was miserable trying to get it off.

This time around I have been doing pretty well, keeping my calories down (maybe a little on the low side) and I have gained 14 lbs at 21 weeks. I'm not upset about it in the least, I just need to be accountable because it was in the third trimester that I started putting on more than a pound a week. If I stay on this pound a week track I can stay under my goal of 30-35 lbs.

I think the fact that I don't even want ice cream this time around will help me keep my goal.

How is everyone else feeling?

· Registered
1,521 Posts
I gained nearly 50 lbs. last time around. It took about 18 mo. to get it most of it off, but I didn't think it took much effort...and I'm over 30. I'd bet I was about 5 lbs. heavier before this pregnancy that I considered to be weight I was carrying for nursing purposes. Nonetheless, I was back in my clothes from my past life.

This time, too, at 21 weeks, I've gained like 15-20 lbs. so far. Not sure I like that, but so it goes...however, I think I gained 5-7 lbs. in a mere week and a half! I couldn't believe it. I saw my dr. on Dec. 1 and my mw onf Dec. 10 and had a change of 7 lbs. I might have eaten more for breakfast that morn or didn't poop or something...but the difference was astounding to me!

I think both scales are fairly in tune as my friend saw the same mw and same dr. the same day as my mw appt. and said her weights were the same at both places.

really? 7 lbs. in just over a week???????

· Registered
2,056 Posts
I gained more weight than I would have liked during the first trimester. About 12 pounds. However, in the last 4 weeks I haven't gained any weight at all, and I feel significantly more healthy. I've been eating better and getting out and about way more than I was. I'm at 20 weeks now, and my total gain is still around 12 pounds. I too would like to keep the weight gain under 30-35 pounds, and I'm really hoping that's doable.

During the first trimester most of the weight I gained was due to stress and not eating as well as I should. On top of that, I was exhausted so I wasn't exercising or getting out of the house. I'm feeling way better now, and since I'm eating healthier I'm not craving the bad stuff any more. Funny how that works. I think as long as I stay on my current track I'll be okay, though I'd like to exercise a little more than I do now.

· Registered
781 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if I should be concerned about the opposite problem (please don't hate me!). I lost weight in the first trimester, not much, just 5 lbs, and I'm still not gaining it back. I had an appt last Friday, and the mw said not to worry, my day will come soon. And since I'll be seeing multiple families for the holidays, I think I she's right
. But are there others who have seen a net loss at ~17 weeks?

· Premium Member
997 Posts
I don't have a scale at the house so I'm not sure how much weight I've gained at this point. On the 2nd at my 16 week appointment I'd gained 11 pounds.

· Registered
308 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quate View Post
I'm starting to wonder if I should be concerned about the opposite problem (please don't hate me!). I lost weight in the first trimester, not much, just 5 lbs, and I'm still not gaining it back. I had an appt last Friday, and the mw said not to worry, my day will come soon. And since I'll be seeing multiple families for the holidays, I think I she's right
I have this as well. I had lost 15 lbs while pregnant with dd, I eventually gained 3 lbs over my prepreg weight. This time I lost 2 lbs and have only gained 1 lb back and I will be 19 weeks tomorrow. My midwife is not worried she just gave me a "Wow! You STILL have not gained any weight." Thats it. So it is probably not a problem unless you are underweight.

· Registered
581 Posts
Oh April, in your photos you look lean and healthy! But I know it doesn't matter what anyone else says, just what you think!

They say every pregnancy is different, so maybe you'll just coast in to the weight you've gained and then by the 3rd trim add on slowly from there... If you're a believer in the "law of attraction" you'll know that what you dwell on may come your way because you're putting a lot of energy in to it, even if its something you DON'T want.

So, I'd say, focus on being healthy and having a healthy appetite set just to what your body needs, and hopefully you won't pack on more than you and your baby need for a healthy pregnancy and early nursing period.

I was a little (ok ok... a lot) worried about how much weight I was going to gain this time because by 10 weeks I had gained 10 lbs, but like a few others, I've just coasted from there and according to the scale at my in-laws house, haven't gained any more since. So, maybe this'll be you too?

But even if not, you'll have nursing AND toddler chasing to burn off the extra calories after baby's born! Yeah!

Sadie

· Registered
686 Posts
I"m feeling a sense of impending doom...I gained close to 40lbs with DD, and was already 10 lbs overweight. I lost all the baby weight, plus about 8 over the last two years, and then lost another 7 during morning sickness. I am now back to my pre-pregnancy weight plus 2 lbs...so that either means I've gained 2 lbs (I'm going with that story ;-)) or 9 at 20 weeks. Either way...I'm just discouraged by the feeling that the weight gain is totally inevitable. Even starting this pg almost 10 lbs lighter than I did last time, I'm still afraid of getting up to those last two months and feeling huge and crappy. I had mild pre-eclampsia with DD and that accounted for at least 10 lbs of my final weight gain...I was so swollen and huge. Bleahhh.

This time I"m much more active though and doing prenatal yoga a few times a week too. But I'm EATING SO MUCH (! HOLY ! COW ! I cannot believe how much food I want!). :-/
We'll see...good luck ladies...just be active and feed your bodies good food...

· Premium Member
10,581 Posts
With ds1, I gained 85 lbs. Started out at 105lbs (30-40 lbs underweight), ended up at 190. Never got down lower than 150ish.
With ds2, pre-pregnancy weight was 176. Mid-pregnancy weight was 146. End of pregnancy weight was 161. My doctor had wanted me on meds for severe nausea but I couldn't afford them.
This time, I'm down 12 lbs so far (17w 4d). So it's not as bad as last time and hopefully the b6/unisom will do it's job. I got moved to weekly appointments today until such time as I start showing a weight gain.

· Registered
3,687 Posts
No time to read the other responses, but I am 16lbs at 19 weeks. I started this pregnancy a full 15lbs lighter than I started my last pregnancy and am currently 20lbs lighter than I was at 20weeks with DD. BUT, with DD I gained 45lbs and lost 30lbs within a week of birth, baby weight, placenta, water weight, fluids, etc.

I've been really counting my carbs this time around though, last time I was probably a little more lax with my food. But since I am a bit petrified of being risked out of my HBAC with GD, I am being careful enough that I can show really good numbers to my midwife to avoid that awful test! I think that is contributing to my slightly slower weight gain. That and chasing a toddler around!

· Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the support, and me too's (and compliment, sadie
)

I need to stay far away from babyfit.com. I was recording my food there and I would pop onto the message boards there occasionally. Its not healthy. These women are bemoaning gaining 9 lbs at 30 weeks (pictures prove that they were not overweight to begin with, quite the opposite)
I even heard a new phrase on that show The Doctors- Pregorexia! People wanting to gain as little as possible to keep up with celebs.

I guess I put too much emphasis on my weight. Last time around I just felt really depressed with my new body. It wasn't till my son hit 2 that I really went down to below my pre-preg weight. In fact I was bringing out clothing that I hadn't worn since high school! I felt fantastic and I worked my @ss off for it. Diet and exercise. I just feel like I won't have the same kind of time to work out after this one since the toddler doesn't nap. My one hope is that my DH is buying a Wii for x-mas and I can get Wii fit, and my DS1 may want to join in!

To the ladies who haven't gained much yet- No hate from me!! I just feel bad that you have been feeling sick
Thats certainly no fun to deal with.

I'm trying to let myself enjoy eating right now with no heartburn yet and while my stomach is not squished!

· Registered
885 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by iana703 View Post
I have this as well. I had lost 15 lbs while pregnant with dd, I eventually gained 3 lbs over my prepreg weight. This time I lost 2 lbs and have only gained 1 lb back and I will be 19 weeks tomorrow. My midwife is not worried she just gave me a "Wow! You STILL have not gained any weight." Thats it. So it is probably not a problem unless you are underweight.
Me too. I was not sick at all with my first pregnancy so ate whatever I wanted and by 20 weeks I had gained probably 13 lbs, but I REALLY packed it on in the last trimester for a total of about 38 lbs. This time, not only was I really really nauseous the whole first trimester (actually up until about two weeks ago) but I also had Pertussis starting basically the day I got my BFP. So, I hadn't gained any weight. I"ve put on about two lbs by now. My doctor isn't worried either. She assures me it'll catch up to me! I'm hoping to keep it around 30 lbs this time or at the nice little 25 lbs mark, but we'll see what happens. I'm over 30 so losing weight isn't really that easy for me. Not impossible, but it didn't just "fall" off like I had hoped!

· Registered
708 Posts
with ds i gained 34lbs

with this one so far at 17 weeks i've gained 16lbs BFing caused way too much weight for me to come off last time so i'm not terribly concerned about it this time and if i do have some extra weight left over i'll be ok with it i'm questionably skinny to begin with...(the kind where everyone wonders if you even eat
) so i'd love to have some evidence for my love of food

· Registered
4,195 Posts
I think I have gained about 20 lbs so far
. It has slowed though - most of that was in the first trimester. I am also now exercising more regularly and able to make better food choices (but don't always...haha). My hope it that my weight gain will slow to almost nothing - only because I want to be burning fat, trimming my arms and legs, etc and have that net out against actual baby gain. I aim to ease into it though and build over all strength over the next few months.

I started out overweight, and gained about 20 pounds in the last year, before pregnancy. Oops.

· Registered
4,195 Posts
Quote:

I haven't, but I honestly don't think that is a problem. Helps that your m/w said so too

· Registered
703 Posts
I gained nearly 60 pounds with dd. I lost most of it in the first couple months. Fifteen pounds wouldn't budge, so I started trying to eat better and exercise more. Ten pounds came right off. Five are stuck on there but, like a pp said, I'm chalking that up to my nursing stores!

I freaked out about my weight gain, too, so I totally understand your distress. But just to echo what other moms have said, you know, as long as you are eating healthy foods and staying somewhat active...DON'T WORRY. Your body is gonna do what it's gonna do. Also, if, like me, you were so sick in your first trimester (or you, in your last?) that you couldn't bear to buckle down and prepare lots of healthy meals or to get exercise, well, still don't worry! Just do the best you can to take care of yourself and the weight will come off in time.

And, yes, looking at your picture, you look beautiful!

· Registered
12,093 Posts
Quote:

It is fine. The baby gets everything. I lost weight all throughout my previous pregnancies and gave birth to two healthy babies- 8lbs, 9 ozs and 9 lbs, 10 ozs.

· Registered
2,174 Posts
I don't know for sure how much I gained with DS1, but it was at least 60, and maybe closer to 80.
I just ate ALL.THE.TIME. I'd bring snacks with me to work, but either they wouldn't be enough, or they wouldn't be what I was craving, so I'd end up going to the snack machine and getting chips and a Twix bar. Or I'd eat breakfast at home, but by the time I got to work, I'd be hungry again and would stop at the 7-11 for a breakfast sandwich, or stop for a hot drink, and get a sandwich, just cuz.
:

Yeah, it was bad.

I don't have that this time, but I've already gained 14 pounds at 19 weeks. The herbalist/nutritionist I consulted gave me some recs of healthy breakfasts and snacks, and I'm doing that, but I find the trail mix she rec'd finds its way in my tummy faster than it should be, and yeah.

I don't want to be risked out of a VBAC for GD or some other weight/diet related factor either, but I don't have good impulse control while NOT pregnant, let alone while pg.

· Registered
4,642 Posts
I'm in the same boat as JPI I gained way too much in the 1st tri from stress travel, we lost our power for a week
Then I got into those bad eating habits. I'm doing much better now. I dread weigh ins tho. Plus I lost 50lbs to get pregnant and I just know I'll gain it all back
I hope I can breastfeed some of it off.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.