Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure it's not such a HUGE suprise, but I was just disgusted.....I have one of those freebie "baby's first year calendar" with cute little stickers noting all the milestones and 'firsts'....well, I was just trying to catch up on some of DS's milestones (he just mastered rolling over)....anyway....I'm looking at the cute little stickers when I notice one that says "BRIS". I just couldn't believe it. I know I should know better and not be so suprised...acutally, I even think the freebie calendar was from a formula company so that should be even more of a reason for me to not be suprised, but I was. I know people make this choice to circ but I was just so disgusted that it was a sticker in this calendar. YES....why don't people acknowledge with joy this pain inflicted on their helpless baby boys?!?
: UGH!!! Just had to vent!

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
It said BRIS not CIRCUMCISION, there are plenty of people that are of the Jewish faith that don't actually have their son's cut at their BRIS. It's a religous ceremony. To me, not any more shocking that a sticker that said CHRISTENING. It does bother me that tons of babies do get cut at their BRIS, but things are changing for the better.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope that I didn't offend anyone. Actually, I even did a quick google search to make sure BRIS was when the infant was circ'd. I am so sorry if my post was taken in the wrong way. I did not know BRIS was not another "name" for circing......I was only posting that it was upseting to me that the circumcision of an infant was worthy of a milestone sticker. Yikes...I am really sorry to be uneducated in the Jewish terminology and faith and apologize to anyone that was offended. Hopefully, most readers will know what my point was...certainly nothing to do with anyone's beliefs and faith.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Late2BCreative
I did not know BRIS was not another "name" for circing......
"Bris" is the name of the circumcision ceremony and the word is often used interchangably with "circumcision." Either way you use it, it is understood what is meant if the person knows what a bris is.

Frank

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.