Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love eating pancakes and waffles because they actually fill me up a bit longer and that curbs my snacking but I don't have the time to make them unless dh is home so it's only a few times a month on weekends.

So can I freeze them and if I do for how long? I've been resorting to a lot of toast because I can cook it fast and eat it one handed while I feed the baby or run around feeding the other kids. And occassionally pop tarts
: eventhough I know they are crap. If I could just take a few waffles or pancakes out of the freezer and heat them I would eat much better!

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Yup, just make extra and flash-freeze (lay them out on a cookie sheet in the freezer 'til frozen) then pop into a zip bag. You can then put them directly from the freezer into the toaster to heat.

HTH!
~nick

ETA: I love PopTarts. They are evil and soulless, but I can't help it, I love 'em just the same.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamama
If there is such a thing as too crunchy on MDC!!!

pilesoflaundry: don'tcha just love your Foodsaver? Depending on how many you make at once, you might want to consider freezing them in two batches: one in the FS to keep long-term, and another in a plain ol' ziplock to take from, so you don't have to keep resealing every day. If you think you'll use them up quickly enough, that is. I tend to be really conservative with what I FS though, 'cause those bags are so pricey. JMO, YMMV!

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GrrlNick

pilesoflaundry: don'tcha just love your Foodsaver? Depending on how many you make at once, you might want to consider freezing them in two batches: one in the FS to keep long-term, and another in a plain ol' ziplock to take from, so you don't have to keep resealing every day. If you think you'll use them up quickly enough, that is. I tend to be really conservative with what I FS though, 'cause those bags are so pricey. JMO, YMMV!

Yes I love it and I do agree the bags are pricey even if they can be reused. You can only reuse them so many times! It's so nice for long term storage and buying in bulk though
.And after I posted the above I thought about using the FS for one batch and a ziploc for another to have for within the next month usage because the constant resealing can be a pita.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
This also works with crepe-like pancakes (I grew up with "Russian Pancakes", which are pretty much the same thing as crepes). You can also put a peice of wax paper between them to keep them from sticking together. I actually used to eat these cold, especially in the summer.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer Z
This also works with crepe-like pancakes (I grew up with "Russian Pancakes", which are pretty much the same thing as crepes). You can also put a peice of wax paper between them to keep them from sticking together. I actually used to eat these cold, especially in the summer.
I always keep big batches of home-made waffles in the freezer for DD. She eats them frozen and calls them "waffles you can eat in your hand" to differentiate them from heated waffles that you eat with syrup on a plate. My secret (ssshhh....don't tell anyone) is to put a couple of tablespoons of maple syrup in the waffle batter. It gives them a nice carmel color and a yummy flavor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.