Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be doing all natural this time around after 2c/s. My hubby has a strong feeling we are having twins LOL or he's just very nervous

Anyhow, I started thinking about it, is that even possible? Or would you have to have anpther C/S?

Just curious!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I think it depends on how the babies are positioned. I mean, in England (where I am originally from) there's not this freaking out about delivering babies feet or bottom first - but over here in the States, it seems like if your baby isn't head down - boom - you get sectioned.

I hope you get your natural birth

This next time, I will be asking for a trial of labor, but since it may be VERY soon after a c section I may find myself sectioned again - you never know. If that does happen, I will also be in your boat looking to VBA2C at some point in the future.

Mind you I'll have to wait and see if I am pregnant (accidentally lol!) this month, or if we aren't. I know that the more months, the better, so I won't be disappointed if this month isn't baby month. Next month at least would be better. But sometimes life throws you curveballs, as I truly know - and whenever we conceive, it will almost certainly be before the six month mark. But then I will give myself a break for that, because my last c section left me with a baby who did not survive. Had I had a living baby, I might feel differently about the waiting period, but having been through what we went through, I feel the way I feel

Anyway I digress! Good luck to you! *hugs* X

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've heard of VBAC moms on this board doing a VBA4C. It IS possible. Having twins may make your road a bit mroe difficult dealing with birthing professionals like doctors and midwives and VBAC, but anything is possible.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Of course it is possible.
I had a VBA2C with a singleton. I would not have a vaginal birth with a footling breech (with frank breech, I would). Typically, the only vaginal breech births that are sanctioned anymore are twin B after twin A has delivered normally. However, there is sometimes a hard push toward c-sections for twins anyway.

I'll tell you what I tell everyone. Do your research and make the decision YOU are comfortable with. I was fine with having a VBA2C, but some aren't. Some would be fine with having a footling breech vaginally; I am not. Personally I will always default to vaginal birth, because that's how babies are supposed to be born, but there are women who aren't comfortable with it, and that's OK.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome! Yeah, I think I have already made a mental decision that no matter what, or how many I'm doing an all natural birth. I was just wondering what you all thought.
I have done lots and lots of research about VBAC, do to all the drama my past doctor made us go through, it was horrible. So, anyhow, I told my husband that if we are carrying twins and our mid wife disagrees it looks like your delivering!! ha h aha ha ha ha! I refuse to go to the hospital unless i'm on my last leg, and even then I would think twice!

Anyhow, thanks for all the input!!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
I think it depends on how the babies are positioned. I mean, in England (where I am originally from) there's not this freaking out about delivering babies feet or bottom first - but over here in the States, it seems like if your baby isn't head down - boom - you get sectioned.
FWIW, NICE guidelines are that elective CS should be offered if Baby A is breech. They will deliver vertex-breech (though I've heard of being pressured to have a CS) whereas US OBs are more likely to restrict to vertex-vertex.

(Even singleton breeches are normally delivered by CS now in the UK--my daughter was breech to 36 weeks and there were 3 other breeches in my antenatal group--vaginal delivery was never presented as an option to any of us if ECV failed).

I've heard of twin VBACs but it will depend in large part on the situation. There are several possibilities with twins which would rule out vaginal birth. Separate sacs and placentas with both babies vertex is your best situation.

·
Registered
431 Posts
dh is thinking twins too, so I asked my mw this question also. My mw is comfortable doing VBAC twins but she does have some limits and requires parallel OB care because there is a decent chance that a twin mom's pregnancy will go where she is not comfortable or can not care for and she does not want you to have to find an OB all of a sudden. She said that as she has had more and more experience, she is more comfortable taking twin VBACs because she has more knowledge of what is a variation of "normal" and to get a 2nd opinion when her gut tells her to.

I really think that you need to ask your mw what her experience is and what her limits are and maybe ask for some references of her twin moms.

Best wishes!

·
Registered
548 Posts
FWIW, NICE guidelines are that elective CS should be offered if Baby A is breech. They will deliver vertex-breech (though I've heard of being pressured to have a CS) whereas US OBs are more likely to restrict to vertex-vertex.

(Even singleton breeches are normally delivered by CS now in the UK--my daughter was breech to 36 weeks and there were 3 other breeches in my antenatal group--vaginal delivery was never presented as an option to any of us if ECV failed).

The key word here is "offered" but unfortunately some staff take that to mean persuade/shroud wave. Not helpful. The term breech trial which the NICE guidelines are more or less based on has been widely criticised but presumably for reasons of convenience, nothing changes.

Vaginal birth is rarely presented as an option to UK mothers but it remains nevertheless an option. There will be midwives and obs in every consultant led unit who are experienced and capable but you have to shout pretty loudly and convince them you're going to do it anyway! Indepdent midwives are also a great option in the UK for vag breech, but obviously you need to be able to pay them. Anyway, I digress, sorry...

Re
and VBA2C, yes, it can be done. They've got to come out somehow! But obviously things can get complicated with any twin pregnancy and some positions will be incompatible with vaginal birth e.g both could be transverse lies.

Only one CS but here's a nice story: http://www.vbac.co.uk/stories/story.php?s=sarah2

I had a VBA2C and it was wonderful. Keep us posted on yours!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.