Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>ive procrastinated on my research paper for english, partially because i have a hard time picking my own topics. it can be pretty much anything, and writting in any way (persuasive, compare and contrast, informative, etc). just a test on our researching and writing skills. does anyone want to throw out some topic ideas? one of our sources has to be and article <span style="font-family:'times new roman';"><span style="font-size:12pt;">from a reputable peer-reviewed journal from our library's online databases. there are a zillion of them it seems like, lol.</span></span></p>

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
<p>woah!!! your proff had no suggestions?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>you dont have to write about anything 'english' but whatever you choose its how you write it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>what is your passion? what are you interested in? you can choose a topic like breastfeeding, or illeteracy or how the US policy on Banana from jamaica is having an impact on its economy or i chose to write on my career for my research paper.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>so literally it can be anything. is there anything you dont know about? one of my papers was on the difference between western and japanese primatology.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>for me the key was writing down the topic sentence for each paragraph and then run with it. look at the issue thru different angles.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>one of the things i did which helped me a LOT was pick up a book of essays and just read thru them. as writing. and that really really helped me get into the thinking of essays. i fell in love with the essay and its been my favourite mode of organising my thoughts ever since then.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>oooh had an after thought. how about pros and cons of vaccination and you can get your ideas for the paragraphs from the forum here. or pick on any minority issue. tonnes of research articles out there.</p>

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
<p>If it's really 'anything' I'd choose either persuasive or compare/contrast. Compare/contrast are the easiest to write, IMO:</p>
<p>Introduction</p>
<p>Talk about Issue 1</p>
<p>Talk about Issue 2</p>
<p>Compare Issue 1 to Issue 2</p>
<p>Contrast Issue 1 with Issue 2</p>
<p>Conclusion.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy/Ideas about breastfeeding across cultures</p>
<p>Babywearing across cultures</p>
<p>Cosleeping across cultures</p>

·
Registered
471 Posts
<p>Go for efficiency. If you are a full-time student, you must have other papers you need to write or other classes you know you will have to take. Double up and kill two birds with one stone. For example, if you know that you need to take Psych 101, write a paper for a topic you know will come up in that class, like stages of development, or anxiety. Then, the paper has become useful beyond it's original intent, and you have some direction on what you can choose from. You don't even have to recycle the paper, you can just be the expert on something when it comes up in the class you end up taking.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I agree that compare/contrast is a good choice. My other two top choices for organization would be: 1: Cause/Effect and 2: Persuasive.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck!</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts