Mothering Forum banner

Can you help me think this through?

995 Views 25 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Lillian J
You can read my thread over in the Learning at School forum, so you have a clearer picture of what I am facing....

With only 7 weeks left of school, and *if* we are keeping our dc out of school, I have to either send them to another school-or go back to hsing. That is the law. How do I organize and pay for curricula in such a short time. I would have to basically make up the missed hours of the remaining school year.

I am in such despair, I can't think straight, can't sleep.

The papers to file that we will finish the school year hsing, arrived already, and I am frozen in my ability to pull this off.

Thank you for any help.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Whatever road you choose try to buy your books used at homeschoolclassifieds.com and betterworldbooks.com (free shipping on everything and nearly every book I've bought was 3.48!!)
: We are going to be using Sonlight (secularly...apparently, it can be done) and all the books are pretty expensive but I managed to get ALL of them through amazon.com (used books are 3.99 shipping and sometimes only cost a penny) and betterworldbooks for nearly 150.00 LESS!!!
See less See more
Hmmmm....I don't know the background details, but if you child needs to come out of school the last thing I would do is worry about curricula. Information is so easy to come by and as long as they are in the healthiest situation possible they are going to be learning lots about life. Isn't the school year almost over? You could just focus on getting organized for next school year if that is the hschooling road you are taking.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackpackbaby View Post
Whatever road you choose try to buy your books used at homeschoolclassifieds.com and betterworldbooks.com (free shipping on everything and nearly every book I've bought was 3.48!!)
: We are going to be using Sonlight (secularly...apparently, it can be done) and all the books are pretty expensive but I managed to get ALL of them through amazon.com (used books are 3.99 shipping and sometimes only cost a penny) and betterworldbooks for nearly 150.00 LESS!!!
Thank you!! Yes,yes,yes! to used books!! I know amazon is pretty quick..is the other one,too?
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by flowers View Post
Hmmmm....I don't know the background details, but if you child needs to come out of school the last thing I would do is worry about curricula. Information is so easy to come by and as long as they are in the healthiest situation possible they are going to be learning lots about life. Isn't the school year almost over? You could just focus on getting organized for next school year if that is the hschooling road you are taking.
In theory, I completely agree with you about curricula and organization. However, the state sees it differently. Yes, only 7 weeks to go till school year is over-three of those weeks the approval papers will be processing.

I'm not sure what to do next year...dh and I are just trying to get past this violation of our family.

The state was trying to handle me with aheavy hand to get me to enroll in a different school. can you imagine sticking a 12 yr old girl into a middle school with 7 weeks to go? It's ridiculous. We are very concerned about our youngest,he basically doesn't understand what is goiing on.
:
:
:b awl
See less See more
I am not sure of your exact situation...or what state you are in or what type of homeschooling laws you are facing...but I am wondering if an umbrella school could help you out immediately ? As in.... get your child officially enrolled immediately, provide paperwork to that effect, and fedex handpicked materials from their curriculum to make it official that you are hsing under their program for an eight-week term ? It might be an expensive option that you don't choose to continue when the next "school year" begins, but might be exactly what you need right now if you have legal issues.....

I came back to add that I mean one that is private, not one that is a charter school in a public school system.
Quote:

Originally Posted by llp34 View Post
I am not sure of your exact situation...or what state you are in or what type of homeschooling laws you are facing...but I am wondering if an umbrella school could help you out immediately ? As in.... get your child officially enrolled immediately, provide paperwork to that effect, and fedex handpicked materials from their curriculum to make it official that you are hsing under their program for an eight-week term ? It might be an expensive option that you don't choose to continue when the next "school year" begins, but might be exactly what you need right now if you have legal issues.....

I came back to add that I mean one that is private, not one that is a charter school in a public school system.
That is a good idea, and one I will think over,but the $$ would definitely be an issue.

Thank you!!
See less See more
Quote:

you can do it mama.
Thanks for the hug! I need it!!

I am going to hit the basement pretty soon, and see what I have inb my hsing "stash." I think I would have plenty for my younger two, just not the oldest.

A friend IRL, suggested Beyond Five In a Row. Has anyone used this? I am familiar with FIAR,just not beyond.

To add to our stress, a different friend said she is "concerned" about our youngest, that it would be emotionally confusing for him to just get taken out of school, before the official year ends. THAT comment makes me want to now be very careful about whom I choose to confide in.
I guess I am paranoid...just too many thoughts racing through my mind.

Anyone else??
See less See more
I'm sorry you're going through this.
I'm sure it will all work out.

I guess if I were in your shoes, I'd use the library for curriculum as well as free or cheap resources. I'd get library books for most subjects and have my dd read to learn, then write about what she's learned. That's my first thought. I'd also use this for math (free): Houghton Mifflin Math. The "leveled practice" has worksheets. And I'd use this for Language Arts (also free): Scott Foresman Reading. Curriculum choice this late in the game also depends on what state your in & what laws you have to follow. Best wishes!
See less See more
It seems like you mainly need something fast to satisfy the state rather than actually teach your dd for the next 7 weeks.

Do you have a local homeschool group? Would anyone there be willing to help you put together a 7 week curriculum or have some curriculum to loan/sell you?

Could you use Ambleside Online for the remainder of the year? Maybe you can get many of the books from the library?

Could you do unit studies for 7 weeks? Could you do History Pockets or Literature Pockets (Evan Moor)?

Could you do a virtual public school option like K12 or Connections Academy for the rest of the year?
Quote:

Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post
It seems like you mainly need something fast to satisfy the state rather than actually teach your dd for the next 7 weeks.
?
Spot on! Dd is a straight A student-and has NEVER brought homework home. I'm not worried at all about where she is at academically. She is spinning circles around her peers. It's more of a legal issue with the state.

Mamas! Thank you, for the many suggestions! I will look through them. I have switched dd's math so many times, that I thought she may have problems when I DID put her in school. Well, not so-she was so incredibly bored up until the last month or so...but even then, she picks up so fast, she doesn't even need to study for tests... and gets A's. I always worried about the math-and sadly still do! Crazy!

I found her math from last year, and she didn't finish it-so I will have her continue that. A big worry off of my shoulders!

Again, thanks to all of you for the suggestions and support.

I am worried about our youngest-and dd mentioned today, that she thinks he should stay at the school! She voiced concern for him being sad and angry.
See less See more
I went and read the other thread - I can't even imagine what you all must be going through right now - how outrageous and unbelievable that things like this are happening to anyone.

I went through this thread just now and am trying to figure out what all you need to put together for authorities in the way of curriculum. A few questions:

Are you positive you're not worrying about getting together more proof of materials and a plan than is required? I'm just asking this because I know that I've seen a few people over the years get intimidated by some local official who either doesn't really know the laws or is ignoring them. Just in case, here are links to the laws: HEM's links, A - Z's links.

Are you looking for a complete planned curriculum for each of your children? Or will materials for core subjects be enough?

I see that the daughter you're most concerned about getting set up is 12, but how old are the other two?

I'm asking all this because there are things I might be able to recommend in the way of low cost but good materials.
Lillian
See less See more
Quote:

I agree. Unless you are required by the state you live in to provide them with evidence of what curriculum you use or you have to report to someone then I would use free resources.

My kids started school back in July/August of last year and they could stop right now if I wanted them to but I'm making them finish out their curriculum they started at the first of the year before going to the next grade, even though I know they already know it all.
Your child is probably pretty much done with the grade he is in at this point anyway being that it's so close to the end of the year.

www.homeschoolsupercenter.com has great deals on both secular and Christian curriculum.
See less See more
Can she complete the requirements by doing some independent studies? I'm thinking choosing a theme she is interested in, researching and producing something tangible, like an essay or project? I'm thinking that could easily cover language arts, science and history. Math you can do pretty easily on line, I would think.
I don't know what grades you need besides 7th, but here are some lesson plans for almost every subject from K-5th grade: http://www.cstone.net/~bcp/BCPIntro2.htm It doesn't cover math or reading/grammar instruction, but does cover history, art, music, literature, geography and science. If you need reading instruction, you could just claim Hooked on Phonics, which is inexpensive and readily available everywhere or you could use the 100 Lessons book (I can't remember the exact title, maybe Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons?).

The curriculum at that link is based on the Core Knowledge Foundation's curriculum. A lot of public schools even use it, so they'd be cool with it.
See less See more
I am so sorry! kudos to your dd she is so brave!

How about checking the library for Homeschool Your Child for Free: More Than 1,200 Smart, Effective, and Practical Resources for Home Education on the Internet and Beyond (Paperback) , it has a scope and sequence in the back and tons of free resources for each subject and grade level. I think it could totally be used as a curriclum particularly for the circumstances you describe, and it would work for all three of your dc

GL
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillian J View Post
I went and read the other thread - I can't even imagine what you all must be going through right now - how outrageous and unbelievable that things like this are happening to anyone.

I went through this thread just now and am trying to figure out what all you need to put together for authorities in the way of curriculum. A few questions:

Are you positive you're not worrying about getting together more proof of materials and a plan than is required? I'm just asking this because I know that I've seen a few people over the years get intimidated by some local official who either doesn't really know the laws or is ignoring them. Just in case, here are links to the laws: HEM's links, A - Z's links.

Are you looking for a complete planned curriculum for each of your children? Or will materials for core subjects be enough?

I see that the daughter you're most concerned about getting set up is 12, but how old are the other two?

I'm asking all this because there are things I might be able to recommend in the way of low cost but good materials.
Lillian

Thanks for your support Lillian!

Naw, I AM worried!!
I suffer from an acute case of worrywortitis.
Since we hsed up to this year, I'm familiar with our state laws, and not easily intimidated. However! I've never been in this situation! I've always had my paperwork turned in on time, with plenty of time to plan the year out.

Yes, it is the core subjects I need to pull together. I am most concerned about our 12 yr old, as I haven't ever hsed a sixth grader before, and didn't already have the hs materials for her grade level. Well, the math she was working on last year and over last summer, is advanced, and she never did finish it-so I can use that. I looked in our basement, and I do have enough materials to hs the other two(fourth and first gr.).

To ALL OF YOU OTHER MAMAS....thank you also for the links,suggestions, and support!!!
See less See more
Well, I'm getting a little confused, but if it's definitely a fact that you're going to be required by law to show what you're using - which I can't help think doesn't sound right - it seems to me that you could just have something there on hand that you don't really need to bother getting around to using much unless you're required to show proof that you're using it by way of having to hand some samples in. What I'm thinking is that she could enjoy a good history book from the library - like The History of US set by Joy Hakim - and her newest series even incorporates developments in science with history, so it's really fascinating! And there are all the wonderful assorted historical novels - there's also a thread here on materials about the Middle Ages. And the same thing could be true of other subjects - not to mention some of the great free websites online. With such a short period of time left to go, it's not as if they're going to be covering all that much in school, but she could really be enjoying reading some good books at home that would benefit her more than a prepared curriculum.

I hope it all goes smoothly and easily. - Lillian
See less See more
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.